Beds, Herts & Bucks

Milton Keynes Hospital "failed to act" in time for patient

A hospital has been criticised for lax care of an accident and emergency patient claiming to have taken an overdose of pain killers.

Milton Keynes Coroner's Court was told Michelle Jannetta, 31, from Bletchley, visited the town's hospital frequently.

Coroner Tom Osborne said Milton Keynes Hospital had failed to monitor her deteriorating condition and she died.

The coroner is to write to the health secretary about the case. The hospital said an action plan was now in place.

Mr Osborne said he would ask the health minister what would be done to prevent a similar incident happening again.

In a narrative verdict, Mr Osborne said nursing staff had failed to act on signs that Ms Jannetta's condition was deteriorating.

She had presented herself at the hospital before claiming an overdose but was kept in overnight for observation.

The signs of an overdose, such as excessive snoring, were not displayed until later in the night, he said.

They did not write into medical notes what they observed and had failed to act before she went into respiratory arrest.

She died when her airway became blocked on the morning of 8 March 2012.

Mr Osborne said he would now write to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to ask what preventative measures would be taken by the hospital.

Milton Keynes Hospital medical director Martin Wetherill said: "Our thoughts are with Michelle's family at this difficult time.

"We have put together an action plan following our investigation, which has now been delivered.

"We will be continuing to improve our service in regard to emergency patients and ensuring lessons are learned."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites