Sunlight on mirror causes fire in Chalfont St Peter

Sunlight reflecting off a mirror caused a fire which damaged a house in Buckinghamshire.

The fire service has urged "extra care" with mirrors after the blaze in Chalfont St Peter on Thursday.

A mirror on a chest of drawers concentrated the sun's rays on to a curtain, which started to burn, the fire service said.

The fire spread to a cabinet and caused smoke damage to about half of the first floor of the two-storey house.

Watch manager Sam Sansom from Amersham fire station said: "We are advising people to take extra care, particularly with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors.

"Keep them out of contact with direct sunlight, and never put them on window sills."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Beds, Herts & Bucks

Weather

Luton

11 °C 6 °C

Features

  • Witley Court in Worcestershire Abandoned mansions

    What happened to England's lost stately homes?


  • Tray of beer being carried10 Things

    Beer is less likely to slosh than coffee, and other nuggets


  • Spoon and buckwheatSoul food

    The grain that tells you a lot about Russia's state of mind


  • Woman readingWeekendish

    The best reads you need to catch up on


  • Salim Rashid SuriThe Singing Sailor

    The young Omani who became a pre-war fusion music hit


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.