Mother jailed for 11 years for killing Mikaeel Kular

Rosdeep Adekoya and Mikaeel Kular Rosdeep Adekoya was originally charged with murdering son Mikaeel Kular

Related Stories

The mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular has been jailed for 11 years after she admitted killing her son and hiding his body in a suitcase.

Mikaeel died two days after being beaten by Rosdeep Adekoya, 34, at the family's flat in Edinburgh in January.

She put his body in a suitcase before dumping it behind her sister's house 20 miles away in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Adekoya originally told police that Mikaeel had disappeared from her home, leading to a major two-day search.

She had been charged with murder, but admitted the reduced charge of culpable homicide.

Judge Lord Glennie told Adekoya what she did was "cruel and inexcusable".

He added: "Striking a child even once is bad enough. Striking him heavily and repeatedly with hand and fist when he was being sick again and again simply beggars belief.

"Mikaeel was by all accounts a healthy, happy little boy. By your actions, however unintended, you have not only robbed Mikaeel of his young life but left a gaping hole in the lives of all who loved him."

Lord Glennie said he accepted Adekoya's remorse was genuine and heartfelt.

'Difficult to understand'

He said: "You are clearly an intelligent and articulate young woman.

"There is no history of violence by you towards any of your children. That makes it all the more difficult to understand your actions.

"I do not suppose that you really understand why you did what you did."

Adekoya, who was wearing glasses, a black cardigan and burgundy jeans, cried and wiped away tears throughout her court appearance.

She had admitted wrapping Mikaeel's body in a duvet cover, putting it in a suitcase and driving to Dunvegan Avenue in Kirkcaldy, Fife, where she hid the case under a bush in woods behind a house.

Adekoya, who had a history of depression and attempted suicide in 2001, had called 999 to report her son missing to police.

She told officers he got out of bed and climbed on a stool to unlock the front door of his home.

Mikaeel died on the night of Tuesday 14 January from injuries inflicted the previous Sunday.

The final cause of death was found to be "blunt force abdominal trauma".

Mikaeel had more than 40 separate injuries to his body, including bruises to his back, chin and cheek, trauma to the brain, haemorrhage in the spinal cord and injuries to his arms.

Adekoya pleaded guilty to repeatedly punching her son and causing his body to hit against a hard object or inflicting blunt injuries on his head and body between 12 and 15 January at their home in Ferry Gait Crescent in the Drylaw area of the city.

Flowers outside house in Kirkcaldy Mikaeel's body was found in a suitcase dumped in woods behind a house in Kirkcaldy

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East



Min. Night 7 °C


  • Ryan ReynoldsTalking Scot

    Ryan Reynolds' cat and other on-screen "Scottish" characters

  • WW2 - utility dressRation fashion

    How World War Two changed the way people dressed

  • Peter Robinson and Nigel DoddsDecision time

    DUP weigh up their options after TV election debate decision

  • The system uses BluetoothSecond sight

    App to help visually impaired young people on the London Tube

  • TributeChild gang fear

    Nine-year-old used to carry drugs, BBC investigation finds

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.