England

Eight men bailed in Syria charity fraud inquiry

Eight men arrested by police investigating fraudulent use of funds from four UK-based Syrian aid charities have been released on bail.

The men were all questioned after raids in Derby, Harlow in Essex, east and south-east London, and Dewsbury and Huddersfield in West Yorkshire.

Kent Police said they had been released on bail until 1 September.

Officers seized euros, US dollars and pound sterling worth more than £45,000 at the Port of Dover in December 2012.

The arrests on Tuesday were part of an ongoing investigation, according to Kent Police's Det Ch Supt Chris Hogben.

He said their aim was to "ensure money intended to help people in need in Syria was not used for criminal activity or for terrorism".

The force has advised the public to use the online register of charities on the Charity Commission website before donating money.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites