England

Southeastern cuts trains after more East Sussex landslips

  • 3 February 2014
  • From the section England
Robertsbridge station
Image caption Services from Robertsbridge were also disrupted following landslips last week

The main London-bound railway line in East Sussex is to be closed for at least two weeks following landslips.

Southeastern said there were two embankment slips at Marley Farm and near Whatlington Viaduct at Battle, which required major repairs.

Trains from London will terminate at Robertsbridge, with a connecting bus service to Battle and a shuttle train from Battle to Hastings.

The line will close after Tuesday morning's rush hour.

It follows cancellations and disruptions on the same line last week caused by landslips at Crowhurst and Battle.

Services were also cancelled after a landslip on 23 December.

'Difficult time'

"We cannot safely carry out such extensive repair work with trains still running and with more bad weather on the way," said Network Rail route managing director Fiona Taylor.

"This has been a very difficult time for everyone using this stretch of railway and we appreciate passengers' patience.

"With two serious embankment failures on one stretch of line, this is the best, quickest and safest way of fixing the problems.

"As soon as we have a more detailed idea of how long the work will take, we will let passengers know so they can plan ahead."

The last direct train to Hastings will leave London Cannon Street at 19:04 GMT. The last direct train to London will leave Hastings at 07:27 GMT on Tuesday.

Temporary speed restrictions will also be in place from 22:00 GMT on Tuesday and into Wednesday morning following forecasts of heavy rain and high winds.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites