Hunt for killer Anxiang Du: TimelineContinue reading the main story
Businessman Anxiang Du has been convicted of four counts of murder after stabbing to death a family in revenge for losing a 10-year court battle. The jury took just over three hours to unanimously convict him following a two-week trial at Northampton Crown Court. Du had denied the murders.Continue reading the main story
All times BST29 April 2011
- 10:44 Anxiang Du takes a train from Coventry to Birmingham. He leaves a farewell letter to his family then catches a train to Northampton.
- 12:35 Du arrives in Northampton and walks to the bus station, where he catches the Number 14 to Wootton.
- 13:35 Du speaks to the driver and is pointed in the direction of the Wootton Fields estate.
- 15:32 The Ding family are killed at their home. The Dings' daughters Alice and Xing are heard screaming in a 999 call. Police trace it to a neighbouring estate and fail to investigate further. The Independent Police Complaints Commission will later say the call was "mishandled".
- 21:43 Having stolen the Dings' Vauxhall Corsa, Du stops at services on J15a of the M1 at Northampton and buys a map of Northamptonshire and a banana milkshake. He tries to find a former business associate, Paul Delaney, but he is not at home.
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras fail to detect the Dings' Corsa as it enters London. This later hampers the police investigation.
- Du leaves the Corsa in Venables Street, St John's Wood. It would remain there for another 11 days, amassing nine parking tickets, despite appeals from police.
- 07:07 Du buys a one-way coach ticket to Paris with £61 cash and his own passport.
- At some point on 30 April, Du's wife reports him as missing.
- 08:00 Police call at the house about Du being missing, but leave after getting no response. They are unaware four bodies lay inside.
- 18:15 A neighbour discovers the bodies and calls police.
- Du is named as the chief suspect by Northamptonshire Police, who believe he is "off the radar" and could be anywhere in the UK.
- Meanwhile, he is arrested by Moroccan police on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. He is released after giving false details.
- A building site worker in Tangier, Morocco, recognises a photograph of Du in a newspaper as the dishevelled man working as a night watchman.
- Du, the UK's most wanted man, is arrested.