Bethan O'Brien tent death: Carbon monoxide suspected

Braunton beach The group of friends were on holiday in Braunton

Related Stories

A "kind and sweet" woman has died at a Devon campsite after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Bethan O'Brien, 20, from Andover in Hampshire, was on a surfing trip in Braunton when her friends found her unconscious in their tent on Sunday.

Paramedics tried to revive her but she died at the scene. Her two friends were taken to hospital to be checked over.

South Western Ambulance Service said initial reports suggested carbon monoxide poisoning could be a factor.

A spokeswoman for Devon and Cornwall Police said officers were not treating the death as suspicious but would not reveal whether the group had been cooking in the tent prior to feeling unwell.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out.

Tributes to Ms O'Brien have been posted on social networking sites, with friends describing her as a "sweet" and "lovely person".

Graham Mckenzie wrote: "In serious shock as I'm sure most people are.

"One of the nicest girls I have ever met, 20 is far too young."

Another friend, Simon Renfrey added: "Such a shock. So sad to find out one of the nicest and kindest people you'll ever meet has gone so young."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More England stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.