Shot Essex PC Ian Dibell: One year anniversary service held

  • 9 July 2013
  • From the section England
PC Ian Dibell
Image caption PC Ian Dibell was killed while trying to stop a shooting in Essex

A service has been held to mark the first anniversary of the death of an Essex police officer shot while tackling a gunman.

PC Ian Dibell, 41, was killed on 9 July 2012 as he tried to stop a man firing a revolver at two people near his home in Clacton.

He was posthumously awarded a bravery certificate by Essex Police.

The service took place in the Clacton Police Station garden and a memorial stone was unveiled to PC Dibell.

The private service, taken by Tendring's police chaplain the Reverend Pauline Bailey, was attended by friends and colleagues.

After The Lord's Prayer was recited, the service ended with a rendition of Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

'Died a hero'

Tendring district commander Ch Insp Cat Barrie said: "The loss of our friend and colleague, PC Ian Dibell, will remain with us forever. Ian's brave and selfless act on that fateful day last year undoubtedly saved other lives but it was a typical display of the qualities that he had as a police officer.

"My officers and staff in Tendring are united in their cause to remember and celebrate the life of Ian, who died a hero, and we continue daily to wear our uniform with pride. We seek solace from the support shown by the public.

"Our thoughts are very much with Ian's family and friends on the first anniversary of his death."

PC Dibell had come to the aid of Trevor Marshall and his girlfriend Katarzyna Karolak in a dispute in Fairlop Close, Clacton.

He was shot in the chest by 64-year-old Peter Reeve, whose body was found the following morning in the grounds of All Saints' Church, Writtle.

An inquest in April returned verdicts of unlawful killing for PC Dibell and suicide for Peter Reeve.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites