Neon Roberts to undergo tumour treatment
A seven-year-old boy with a brain tumour is due to undergo surgery later against his mother's wishes.
A High Court judge ruled on Tuesday that Neon Roberts should have further treatment on the tumour.
Neon's mother, Sally Roberts, 37, wanted to delay the procedure until more doctors had been consulted.
But Mr Justice Bodey ruled the it should go ahead after a specialist said it needed to be carried out urgently.
Judge Bodey told the court it was likely he would make a ruling by the end of week on any further treatment, including radiotherapy.
Mrs Roberts has been fighting moves to give her son radiotherapy because of its effects.Brain damage fear
New Zealand-born Mrs Roberts earlier went into hiding with her son because she did not want him to have the treatment, sparking a nationwide search on 5 December before both were found unharmed.
At a hearing on 7 December, the court was told doctors recommended Neon had radiotherapy and said he could die if he did not receive the treatment.
At that hearing, Mrs Roberts said she feared it could do long-term harm including causing brain damage and infertility.
On Tuesday, doctors told the court surgery was needed because an MRI scan revealed a residual tumour left from the boy's last operation.
A doctor said it was "highly likely" Neon would die within a "relatively short period" without further treatment.
The judge said the hospital where Neon would undergo surgery should not be identified.