England

Train climb man dies after 25,000 volt electric shock

  • 21 September 2010
  • From the section England

A man who suffered a 25,000 volt electric shock when he climbed on top of a train to retrieve a shoe has died.

Andrew Minto, 23, of Cornforth, in County Durham, touched overhead cables and was thrown on to the track at Durham station on 11 September.

He suffered severe burns and British Transport Police (BTP) said he died in hospital on Saturday.

BTP said no-one else was believed to have been involved in the incident.

They said Mr Minto was given a huge shock from the overhead power lines. He suffered 40% burns.

'Tragic accident'

Officers have been trying to find out how his shoe ended up on top of the train but are not treating it as suspicious.

Sgt Nigel Ashworth said: "This is a tragic accident which saw a young man lose his life on the rail line.

"Our thoughts are with the man's family and friends at this difficult time."

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out on Tuesday.

It is believed Mr Minto was a Newcastle United fan who had travelled to the team's 2-0 defeat against Blackpool.

He worked on the marketing team at Durham County Council.

The council's head of libraries, learning and culture, Rosemary Laxton, said: "Andrew was a popular and valued member of staff and we are deeply saddened by his death.

"He will be very much missed by his friends and colleagues at the council as well as our elected members. Our thoughts are with his family at this upsetting time."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites