Rolf Harris trial: Jury starts deliberations
- 19 June 2014
- From the section UK
The jury in the case of Rolf Harris will resume a second day of deliberations on Friday after retiring to consider its verdicts.
The 84-year-old entertainer is alleged to have attacked girls and young women aged seven to 19, including a childhood friend of his daughter, Bindi.
Mr Harris, of Bray, Berkshire, denies 12 counts of indecent assault at Southwark Crown Court.
Some of the allegations against him date back as far as the 1960s.
During his trial prosecutors claimed the entertainer was a "Jekyll and Hyde" character, who had a dark side to his personality and used his fame to abuse underage girls with impunity.
But his defence team told the jury that Harris's reputation had been "trashed" by a prosecution that did not reach the standard of criminal proof.
Summing up the case Mr Justice Sweeney warned the jury - made up of six men and six women - against being swayed by emotion.
He said: "Neither media nor internet nor speculation nor emotion of any type can have any part whatsoever to play in your deliberations."
He sent the jury home until 14:00 BST on Friday when they will begin a second day of deliberations.