Duke of Edinburgh has 'minor procedure' on hand

The BBC's Peter Hunt reports on Prince Philip's bandaged hand

Related Stories

The Duke of Edinburgh has had a "minor procedure" on his right hand, Buckingham Palace has said.

The 92-year-old's hand was bandaged during a visit to a specialist health clinic in London on Wednesday, after which he attended a garden party.

The procedure was carried out inside Buckingham Palace on Tuesday.

Prince Philip last underwent surgery in June 2013 when he spent 11 nights in hospital following exploratory abdominal surgery.

BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt says the Duke is "carrying on his normal job as a royal".

Previously, he has spent time in hospital for a bladder infection, which first affected him in June 2012 during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

In December 2011, he suffered chest pains which led to him undergoing a procedure on a coronary stent.

More on This Story

More UK stories

RSS

Features

  • Nigel Farage (left) and Douglas CarswellWho's next?

    The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP


  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • President Barack Obama pauses during a press conference on 28 August.'No strategy'

    Obama's gaffe on Islamic State reveals political truth


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.