Media playback is unsupported on your device

'My dog ate my face - but saved my life'

7 January 2014 Last updated at 12:11 GMT

A woman left blind after a pet dog ate her face says the accident actually saved her life.

Former alcoholic, Wendy Hamriding, was unconscious from a fall when her pet dog began nibbling at her face.

She was left blind as the dog chewed off her forehead, right eyeball and socket, but two years on she can see again after pioneering surgery.

The 53-year-old from Preston told BBC Radio 5 live's Victoria Derbyshire: "I could just see a black hole where the [eye] had been. But when I looked in the mirror I was thankful for what happened because I knew I wouldn't drink again."

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.