Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed 'breached TPims order before'
- 8 November 2013
- From the section UK
A terror suspect was facing charges over 20 alleged breaches of orders restricting his movements when he fled a mosque in a burka, it has emerged.
An Old Bailey appearance was scheduled before Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed disappeared in west London last week.
An arrest warrant in connection with the charges has now been issued.
Mr Mohamed had been remanded in custody when accused of the breaches but was later granted bail, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed.
He was first remanded in custody in October 2011 before being released on bail in February 2012. In April this year, he was given bail for a second time following four months on remand.
It is understood the second application was opposed by prosecutors.
Separately, the government has said his High Court case for damages over claims the UK was complicit in his torture in Somalia would be an abuse of the court.
Mr Mohamed, 27, disappeared on 1 November after entering an Acton mosque in a jacket and trousers but leaving in disguise.
CCTV footage captured Mr Mohamed entering and leaving the building.
The Metropolitan Police's counter-terrorism command, MI5 and the UK's Border Force have been searching for him since then.
Home Secretary Theresa May told MPs on Monday that Mr Mohamed, who is 5ft 8in tall and of medium build, ''does not pose a direct threat to the public in the UK''.
Mr Mohamed is charged with six counts on one indictment, concerning alleged breaches of the terrorism prevention and investigation measures order (TPim) he has been under for almost two years.
TPims restrict the movements of people thought to pose a risk to the public, but who cannot be tried for reasons of national security and who cannot be deported.
The measures include electronic tagging, reporting regularly to the police and facing "tightly defined exclusion from particular places and the prevention of travel overseas".
It is alleged that Mr Mohamed failed to report to Acton police station, as required by his TPim, on December 22 to 25 and December 27 to 28 in 2012.
He faces a further 14 counts on a second indictment relating to alleged breaches in 2011 of a control order, the predecessor to TPims.
Among the charges, it is alleged he failed to report to a monitoring company, failed to report to Ipswich police station, met a person without agreement of the Home Office, and used an unauthorised mobile phone.
When the TPims order was obtained, Mr Mohamed was said to have received terrorist training in Somalia and fought there in support of al-Shabab.
Court documents also say he supported a UK-based network supporting terrorist-related activity in Somalia and had been involved in attack planning against Western interests in east Africa.
The arrest warrant was formally issued by the judge at the Old Bailey when Mr Mohamed did not attend the scheduled hearing.
Mr Mohamed's solicitor Gareth Peirce told the court on Friday that she had "no reason for the defendant's non-appearance".
Mr Mohamed is due to stand trial for the alleged breaches of the TPim on 28 April next year.
Crown prosecutor Stuart Baker requested that the trial date remain fixed as the proceedings may continue in his absence.
Labour's Diana Johnson, shadow crime and security minister, said: "When Theresa May introduced TPims she promised 24-hours surveillance provided by specially trained officers.
"Every revelation since has questioned whether any direct surveillance was in place. The home secretary has serious questions to answer about what measures she had put in place to protect the public."
Meanwhile, in the High Court, Mr Mohamed is claiming the UK authorities were complicit in his torture in Somalia in 2011.
Ms Peirce says that Mr Mohamed claims he was forcibly removed from Somalia to the UK with the "involvement of the security services here".
Mr Mohamed, a British citizen, travelled to Somalia in 2007 and was detained there with another man in January 2011, until their removal back to the UK in March of that year.
James Eadie QC, appearing for the government at the High Court, said Mr Mohamed had absconded from his TPim and it could be an abuse of process to allow him to continue the claim.