Media playback is unsupported on your device

'We funded our own broadband network'

5 July 2013 Last updated at 13:48 BST

The government's rollout of "superfast" broadband to rural areas is about two years behind its original schedule, an official audit has found.

The report said only nine of 44 rural areas would reach targets for high-speed internet by 2015, and four areas could also miss a revised 2017 target.

Christine Conder, is a campaigner for rural broadband, who built her own network along with other members of her local community.

She told the Today programme: "The process so far has not supported other companies to access the funding to build innovative networks. It is only supporting one company who will patch up the network they've got, and give some people faster broadband. So we're really welcoming this new initiative to find out what's gone wrong with the process."

However the Communications Minister, Ed Vaizey, ensured that the programme will "end up connecting more households than originally planned."

He said: "We under promised and we're going to over deliver, because with the same amount of money we're going to deliver broadband to 92% of the country, superfast broadband to 92% of the country. And that's why we've also announced additional funding of £250 million to take it out to 95%."

First broadcast on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday 5 July 2013.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.