Freddie Starr rebailed over alleged sexual offences
- 19 June 2013
- From the section UK
Entertainer Freddie Starr has been rebailed for two months by officers investigating alleged sex offences.
Starr, 70, was first arrested in November under the "Savile and others" strand of Operation Yewtree, the inquiry set up in the wake of the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.
He was then re-arrested in April under the strand unrelated to Savile.
His lawyer said Starr, who denies any wrongdoing, hoped he would soon be able to clear his name.
A Met Police spokeswoman said a person referred to only as "Yewtree Two" had been "rebailed to return pending further inquiries, next due in a date in August".
Operation Yewtree is an inquiry into historical allegations of sexual abuse linked to the entertainment industry.
It was launched after it emerged the late BBC Radio One DJ and television presenter, Savile, subjected hundreds of young people and children to sexual abuse over more than five decades.
The operation has three strands. One concerns Savile's crimes exclusively, while a second relates to allegations against Savile and others.
The third strand concentrates on accusations unconnected to the Savile investigations but which emerged as a result of the publicity surrounding Savile.
Starr, who lives in Warwickshire, has previously denied claims that he groped a girl of 14 while in a BBC dressing room with Savile.
His lawyer Dean Dunham said: "Mr Starr was due to answer bail today, Wednesday 19 June. However, the police have decided to rebail him to 28 August and in the circumstances he was not required to attend the police station today.
"Mr Starr has maintained his innocence throughout and has assisted the police with their inquiries at all times."
He added: "We are hopeful that the police inquiries are drawing close to a conclusion at which time Mr Starr will be able to confirm that he has publicly cleared his good name and reputation."