London 2012: More troops deployed for Olympics

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt: "Nothing should be left to chance"

Related Stories

More than 1,000 troops who had been on standby to bolster security at the Olympic Games have been deployed.

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the 1,200 troops were to be used because ministers were clear that "we don't want to leave anything to chance".

Earlier this month 3,500 personnel were drafted in after security provider G4S admitted it was short of staff.

The new deployment decision was taken at a meeting of the cabinet's Olympics committee, chaired by David Cameron.

The move means 18,200 troops have now been deployed to the Games.

It is the latest step to strengthen security after G4S said it could not deliver enough guards.

Paul Deighton - chief executive of Olympic organisers Locog - said G4S had just under 6,000 personnel deployed for the Games to date.

Mr Hunt told an Olympics security briefing the next 48 hours were "critical" for security and transport".

Earlier, he said that the move to bring in extra troops was not because G4S's performance had deteriorated - he said it had actually improved.

London 2012 - One extraordinary year

London 2012 One extraordinary year graphic

"With three days to go until the opening ceremony, with an incredibly busy weekend, we don't want to leave anything to chance and we just decided that this is the right measure to take because for the public the most important thing is a safe and secure Games," he said.

"It's better to have those troops on the ground so that, were they to be needed, they can swing into action immediately."

In other Olympics news:

During a security briefing, Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison said the deployment of further troops offered extra flexibility.

"We don't know what's going to come round the corner, and that's the reality," said Mr Allison, who is the national Olympic security co-ordinator.

Mr Allison said the security operation had been designed to deal with four broad areas of risk to the Games: "The first is terrorism, the second is organised crime, the third is protest and the fourth is natural hazards."

He said while the existing terror threat to the UK was rated at "substantial", officers were policing to the level above that - "severe" - when an attack is highly likely.

"You can always downgrade your resources at the last minute - it's a lot harder to suddenly upgrade your resources."

Opening ceremony rehearsal

Mr Allison said the team dealing with Olympics-related fraud had so far made more than 200 arrests and he advised people to only buy tickets from authorised websites.

He also warned that while the right to protest was "an extremely important part of our democracy", it was a "conditional" right and therefore "does not give you the right to stop the Games happening".

On Monday, thousands attended a technical dress rehearsal of the opening ceremony.

They were urged to keep the details secret and not spoil the surprise for others by circulating images or videos.

People who attended Monday's rehearsal reported that the hashtag "#savethesurprise" was emblazoned on giant screens inside the Olympic Stadium.

It later trended globally on micro-blogging website Twitter.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More UK stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.