Operation Elveden: Two former NHS workers bailed
- 6 July 2012
- From the section UK
Two ex-NHS workers held as part of the inquiry into allegations of corrupt payments to public officials by journalists have been bailed.
A woman, 42, and man, 46, were arrested in Bridgwater, Somerset, on suspicion of conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office and corruption.
They were bailed on Thursday night until a date in October.
Also on Thursday, a 26-year-old man was arrested in Surrey as part of the investigation into phone hacking.
News International said the man was an employee but not in an editorial team.
He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and taken into custody at a London police station.
The Somerset arrests mean a total of three ex-NHS staff have been detained as part of the Elveden inquiry.
Police said the arrests came as the result of information provided to police by News Corporation's management standards committee.
Three other people arrested by police on Wednesday as part of Operation Elveden were released on bail.
Greig Box-Turnbull, 37, who worked for the Daily Mirror until March, a 46-year-old prison officer and a 50-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of corruption, conspiracy to commit bribery and conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office.
All three are due to answer bail at separate London police stations in October.
So far 39 people have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden.
The arrest of the man in Surrey is the 24th arrest detectives have made as part of the Operation Weeting investigation into phone hacking, which is running in conjunction with the Elveden inquiry.
Operation Weeting was launched in January 2011 following allegations that journalists at the News of the World had been accessing the voicemails of prominent people.
The Sunday tabloid was closed by publisher News International - part of News Corp - amid the scandal that followed.
Of the 24 people arrested as part of Operation Weeting, detectives have charged six people.
They include former NI chief executive Rebekah Brooks, who faces three charges of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. She denies the charges and is to go on trial in September.
The Met Police said 14 people remained on bail pending further enquiries and four people had been released with no further action.