Babies 'died in mother's arms' after morphine overdose

Help

There were "failings" in the care of premature twins who died after being given an overdose of morphine, a coroner has ruled.

Alfie and Harry McQuillin, who were born at Stafford Hospital, died on 1 November 2010, at two days old.

Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said the morphine overdose "played a part in their deaths" but the hospital was not guilty of gross neglect.

The babies' parents, Ami Dean and Philip McQuillin, said the memory of their sons' dying moments will never leave them.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.