Operation Elveden: Ex-officer held in police payments probe
- 3 May 2012
- From the section UK
A 57-year-old ex-officer has been arrested by police investigating corrupt payments in relation to the phone-hacking scandal.
The man was arrested at home in Surrey at 0630 BST on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in a public office.
His arrest as part of Operation Elveden was due to information provided by News Corporation's own management standards watchdog, the Metropolitan Police said.
He was released on bail after being questioned at a London police station.
Police said he had been bailed to a date in August pending further inquiries.
The man who was arrested served in the Met's specialist operations command, based in central London, and retired several years ago. A search of his home address also took place.
He is the 27th person to be held during Operation Elveden.
The investigation is being supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and is being run in conjunction with Operation Weeting, the Met's inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.
The Crown Prosecution Service last month was sent the first set of files from police relating to the inquiries.
It is considering whether charges should be brought against four journalists, one police officer and six other people.
News Corporation's Management and Standards Committee was established in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal that resulted in the decision to close of the News of the World in July 2011.
On Wednesday, the company said the MSC had completed its review of its UK newspapers.
It said it had found no evidence of illegal conduct at the The Times and The Sunday Times other than a single incident, which led to the disciplining of one employee. It gave no further details about its internal review into the Sun.