The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Marine 'devastated' at sentence
- Norway: Is world’s largest sovereign wealth fund too big?
- More men chat in girls' 'dialect'
- Tidal surge hits UK coastal towns
- US jobless rate falls to 5-year low
- South Africa and world mourn Mandela
- Warning over rare metals in gadgets
- Deadly storm lashes northern Europe
- Android app caught sharing ID data
- Fruit-mad monkeys eat 50 per day
Elsewhere on the BBC
How can we ensure there are healthy oceans for generations to come?
How a car can be stopped remotely using radio pulses - plus other technology news