The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Why Lord of the Flies holds true 60 years on
'Why I loved/loathed my 1960s tower block'
The freedivers risking their lives to swim with whales
Five bugs that lurk in changing rooms
Keeping the sound of Spain's clacking castanets alive
- Village could become centre of UK
- 'Sweet theft' estate agent sacked
- Richard III death injuries revealed
- PM's reshuffle 'secrets' overheard
- Files reveal WW2 secret 'Agent Fifi'
- Nasa picks astronaut ship designs
- Referendum campaigns make final push
- Senior military in 'Yes' vote warning
- Should Hebden Bridge be the UK's second city?
- 'Nation divided against itself' - front pages