The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Why mules are being targeted on the Iraqi-Turkish border
Inside the $400m super-fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao BBC Sport
What has modern life done to our digestive systems?
Why are all the manicurists in Los Angeles Vietnamese?
Taking on the pontiff's cricket team at the Vatican
- Royal baby: Family members visit new princess
- New York policeman in critical condition after shooting
- Thousands of migrants rescued at sea
- Royal baby: Princess's first night at Kensington Palace
- Man dies after being restrained by police in Paignton
- BB King 'receiving hospice care'
- Election 2015: Lib Dems will insist on public sector pay rise
- Rio Ferdinand's wife Rebecca Ellison dies from cancer
- Great Gut Extinction: Has modern life destroyed our health?
- Royal baby: William and Kate present daughter to the world