The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Tracing the story of one family of WW1 refugees
Drama brings craft of the ocularist to life
How this man helped mediate the IRA truce 20 years ago
Trends of the week in 60 seconds
What's it like living in a substandard home?
- Start of a 'libertarian moment'?
- Missing Ashya King found in Spain
- Spectre of US default (again)
- US TV host found murdered at home
- First openly gay NFL player dropped
- World Cup? Look again
- Original Jethro Tull bassist dies
- Hillary Clinton's 'dead broke' claim
- The jihadi issue and a Clacton electoral "bloodbath" - the papers
- EU sets Russia sanctions ultimatum