The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
The coffin prank that frightened a girl to death
Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news
The most important battle you have probably never heard of
Selection of the best news photos from around the world
Are authors or actors better at cricket?
- Rape case stopped as judge 'asleep'
- English councils propose 'Tesco tax'
- Butler 'crushed to death by lift'
- The tragic coffin prank
- Coach firm collapse affects hundreds
- More train disruption after storms
- Weekendish: Sex and sports hybrids
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- 'New virus' discovered in human gut
- The man serving life for marijuana