The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Exercise 'cuts risk of dementia'
- 'Wear a hijab' Fernanda Lima say some Iranians
- Coldest spot on Earth identified
- Deadly Argentina looting spreads
- Sound of Music actress dies at 91
- S Korea says North in 'terror reign'
- Six things you didn't know about Nelson Mandela
- Notables who missed Mandela service
- Financier taking on Russia’s oligarchy
- 'Giant of history' Mandela honoured
Elsewhere on the BBC
Is the Cadillac CTS the Germans’ worst nightmare?
Could cycle lanes be under threat in one of the world's most bike-friendly cities?