Military leaders failed to calculate the magnitude of the conflict in Afghanistan, the former head of the British army, Gen Sir Peter Wall, tells the BBC.
Background and Profiles
- Last UK troops ready for Afghanistan01:44
- Carols and music at Camp Bastion01:46
- Christmas at Camp Bastion02:44
- PM hails Afghan 'mission accomplished'03:11
- Families pay tribute to 'heroes'03:53
- Afghan police 'not trustworthy'03:01
- Any lessons from Afghanistan?03:03
- Afghanistan: What can be achieved?03:34
- Army town's Afghanistan burden03:25
Features & Analysis
Striking photos of British troops posted on billboards across Britain
What comes home and what gets left behind?
British troops dismantle their bases in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan can leave physical and mental scars
Hope and concern as UK troops prepare to leave Afghanistan
Unique access inside a Taliban stronghold near Kabul
The pain of losing an only son in Afghanistan
Could collapse in trust lead to early Afghan exit?
How words, not bullets, are reaching out