The year 2012 has seen important shifts among the players in Afghanistan, setting up a crucial year ahead, writes Ahmed Rashid.
BBC news examines the causes and consequences of attacks by Afghan forces on their foreign allies.
- Shot girl Malala leaves hospital02:01
- Drone kills Pakistani militant leader02:01
- Kidnapped Pakistan troops killed01:21
- Anger and shock after Pakistan blast01:05
- Pakistan polio campaign attacks 'horrific'05:01
- 'We helped West and it became a problem'02:50
- Taliban target US Afghan base01:31
- Warlords maintain power in Afghanistan02:15
Features & Analysis
As the withdrawal of foreign forces nears, some insurgents are re-assessing their allegiances
The relations between militants on either side of the Afghan-Pakistan border.
Which countries are contributing troops?
Full details of UK personnel killed in Afghanistan
How have the Taliban been able to take on the might of the US army?
Will these young Afghan recruits be ready in time?
Ahmed Rashid on the devastating impact of 9/11 on Pakistan