|Labour||Seats 70||Seats +/- +2|
|United Kingdom Independence Party||Seats 1||Seats +/- +1|
|Conservative||Seats 1||Seats +/- -2|
|Liberal Democrat||Seats 0||Seats +/- -1|
- Metropolitan District Council
- Seats up
- 24 seats up for election - Third
- Boundary change
Latest updates Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council
Park clean-up runs in to thousands of pounds
Reporter, BBC Midlands Today
The bill to clean up a park in Smethwick after a group of travellers were evicted earlier this week could run into thousands of pounds, the council says.
Tonnes of rubbish, including more than 300 tyres, rubble and double glazed windows, were left behind in Black Patch Park.
Sandwell Council has removed travellers from four pieces of council land in the last week.
It estimates that around 50 tonnes of rubbish was fly-tipped.
Waste blights Sandwell park
Sandwell Council has shared pictures of a rubbish-strewn Black Patch Park.
The council says the waste has been left by travellers who were evicted yesterday.
Steve Eling, leader of Sandwell Council, said the rubbish weighed tonnes.
Sandwell Council investigation: Award of 10 council homes referred to police as 'fraud'
BBC Local Live
Sandwell Council has investigated alleged impropriety in some cases dating back as far as 1997 - 20 years ago.
One of the allegations concerns the award of 10 council houses since 1997.
The council said it believes that:
- "patterns of behaviour that, at this point in time, look like a conspiracy to defraud and/or misconduct in a public office, [which] seem to all benefit members of [former deputy leader] Councillor [Mahboob] Hussain’s family"
- Councillor Bawa and Councillor Hussain "benefitted from a unique Compulsory Purchase Order [CPO] pilot scheme"
- An exclusive bid for self-build plots of land was introduced in 1999 "restricted to plots of land that Councillors Bawa and Hussain had already expressed an interest in back in 1998"
All of the above matters have been referred to police, the council report said.