BBC Home > BBC News > England

Man held over Brighton rape released without charge

25 February 11 14:20
Dyke Road Park rape scene

A 19-year-old man who was arrested by police investigating the rape of a teenage girl in Brighton has been released without charge.

The man had been questioned in connection with the rape of a 17-year-old girl who was dragged into a park near Dyke Road on 15 February.

Sussex Police said officers would continue to search for the person responsible for the attack.

The force has urged women to be extra vigilant when they are out at night.

'Vital information'

Det Insp Trevor Bowles, of Sussex Police, said: "The search for the person responsible for this attack continues.

"We have a dedicated team of officers working on the investigation and the victim continues to receive support from specially trained officers.

"I would like to appeal for anyone who used the Tesco Express 24-hour store on Dyke Road, at the junction with Upper Drive between midnight and 1240 [GMT] on Tuesday, 15 February, to please come forward.

"You may have vital information to the inquiry.

"I would also like to remind women to please be vigilant when walking at night. Walk with company in well lit areas and be aware of your surroundings."

Share this

Related BBC sites

*