7 questions on obesityContinue reading the main story
Obesity is back in the headlines with the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, which represents nearly every doctor in the UK, calling for fizzy drinks to be heavily taxed and junk food adverts banned until after the watershed. Test yourself on obesity and the food most blamed for making people fat.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
Rank the saturated fat content of these fast foods from highest to lowest: a) Nandos double chicken breast burger b) Pret A Manger mature cheddar and pickle sandwich c) McDonald's Big Mac d) Burger King Whopper.
We all need some fat in our diet but too much saturated fat can raise cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart disease. It's important to cut down on fat and choose foods that contain unsaturated fat.
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Sugar added to food can be called different names on ingredient lists, warns the NHS. Which of these is not a type of sugar?
3.) Multiple Choice Question
And sugar is an ingredient people underestimate in soft drinks. Which of these typically has the most?
- Pomegranate juice
- Chocolate milkshake
- Ginger beer
4.) Multiple Choice Question
Cheese can be high in saturated fat, but also high in salt. Which of these cheeses is saltier by concentration than seawater?
Salt is not a direct cause of obesity but is a major influencing factor through its effect on soft drink consumption, say campaigners. It makes us thirsty and increases the amount of fluid we drink. A reported 31% of the fluid drunk by 4-18 year olds is sugary soft drinks which have been shown in studies to be related to childhood obesity.
5.) Multiple Choice Question
Deep-fried Mars bars are supposedly a Scottish speciality. The chocolate bar is normally 260 calories but what is it estimated to rise to when deep fried?
6.) Multiple Choice Question
A single helping of chicken tikka masala from a takeaway contains more than an adult's entire daily allowance of what?
- Saturated fat
7.) Multiple Choice Question
On average, UK worker eat two unhealthy snacks a day. Which is the most popular?
- It's c,d,b,a. A Big Mac has 10g of saturated fat, a Whopper has 9.8g, a mature cheddar and pickle sandwich 9.5 and a double chicken breast burger 1.2g, according to the nutritional information listed by each company.
- It's setose, which means bristly.
- It's pomegranate juice, according to a study by Glasgow University. It has 3.1 teaspoons of sugar per 100ml, while a chocolate milkshake has 2.71 and cola 2.52g. Ginger beer was not included in the study.
- It's Roquefort, according to research by campaign group Consensus Action on Salt and Health. The blue cheese was identified as the saltiest in the study, containing 3.43g of salt per 100g portion. Cheddar was also found to have high levels, while Emmental was at the lower end of the scale.
- It's 1,200 calories, according to the Daily Mail. That's 60% of a woman's recommended daily calorie allowance. The first Mars bar is said to have been deep fried at the Carron Fish Bar in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, about 20 years ago.
- It's saturated fat. The standard takeaway portion served with pilau rice includes on average 116% of an adult's Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) of saturated fat, according to a recent survey by the Local Government Association. But it only just scrapes in under the recommended amount of salt, containing 92% of our GDA.
- It's biscuits. The survey reported 42% of workers regularly open a pack of biscuits, followed by chocolate at 38% and crisps at 32%. It's estimated that eating two unhealthy snacks daily makes you pile on almost half a stone in a year.
0 - 2 : Fat chance
3 - 5 : Rather bloated
6 - 7 : In rude health
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down)