Quiz of the week's news
It's the Magazine's 7 days, 7 questions quiz - an opportunity to prove to yourself and others that you are a news oracle. Failing that, you can always claim to have had better things to do during the past week than swot up on current affairs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
The Royal Mail has been criticised for issuing a warning in Doncaster that mail would not be delivered on health and safety grounds because of what?
- Aggressive cats
- Wet weather
- Hanging baskets
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Jeremy Hunt has defended himself against the allegation that he lied to Parliament. Who used the phrase "terminological inexactitude" to mean "lie", to get around rules on unparliamentary language?
- Winston Churchill
- Denis Healey
- Clare Short
3.) Multiple Choice Question
The vision for the opening ceremony at the Olympic Games of rolling green fields was unveiled this week by Danny Boyle, the artistic director. Which pressure group in particular has criticised the plans?
- Animals rights group Viva!
- The Countryside Alliance
4.) Multiple Choice Question
A family member of which deceased singer has given the OK to plans to create a virtual image of the star that could perform duets and take part in concert tours?
- Elvis Presley
- Kurt Cobain
- Amy Winehouse
5.) Missing Word Question
Space 'not as * as thought'
6.) Multiple Choice Question
Research focusing on which of the following was considered so shocking for Edwardian society that it was written in Greek and suppressed for a century?
- The lavatorial habits of bears
- Sex life of penguins
- Gorillas breastfeeding
7.) Multiple Choice Question
A brooch worn by the Duchess of Cambridge over the Jubilee weekend is still being discussed in the media, which predicts it will become a must-have accessory. Of what is the dolphin pin the insignia?
- The Royal Naval Reserve Units
- The Submarine Service
- The Sea Scouts
- It's the rain. The decision was taken after a postal worker slipped on a wet pavement. A letter to businesses in South Parade, Doncaster, stated: "Under the circumstances, mail deliveries to your address will be suspended in wet weather conditions such as persistent rain, snow or ice, for health and safety reasons."
- It was Winston Churchill. It is usually out of order to call another MP a liar but Speaker John Bercow this week ruled that Labour's Chris Bryant had not broken any rules because the basis of the opposition's motion was whether Hunt had deliberately misled Parliament.
- It's Viva! (Vegetarians' International Voice for Animals), which has criticised plans to use live animals - horses, cows, chickens, geese, sheep and sheepdogs - when the Olympic Stadium is transformed into a typical English meadow.
- It's Elvis Presley. Lisa Marie Presley said she was happy for her father to be turned into a virtual image, similar to that of Tupac Shakur at this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, Billboard reported.
- It's knotty. Theories of the primordial universe predict the existence of knots in the fabric of space known as "cosmic textures". But the first full search by scientists has revealed no sign of the space knots.
- It's the sex life of penguins. Accounts of unusual sexual activities among penguins, observed by a member of Captain Scott's polar team, have been unearthed at the Natural History Museum and will be made available to the public.
- It's the Royal Navy's Submarine Service, which gave it to the duchess as a gift. According to the Daily Mail, by wearing it, the duchess was confirming that the "brooch is back".
0 - 2 : Accessory
3 - 5 : Desirable
6 - 7 : Must-have
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down)