7 questions on springContinue reading the main story
The vernal equinox took place on Tuesday, which signals the start of spring in the northern hemisphere. So how much to you know about all things to do with the season?
1.) Multiple Choice Question
Hares "box" each other in what is known as a "spring frenzy". Why?
- Females hit males to prevent copulation
- Males hit each other to attain dominance
- Females hit any hare to protect young
2.) Multiple Choice Question
According the novelist Margaret Atwood what should you smell like at the end of a spring day?
3.) Multiple Choice Question
In Greek mythology Persephone is the goddess of spring growth. She is also known as the "maiden of the beautiful" what?
Persephone is abducted by Hades, god of the underworld. Her mother Demeter, goddess of harvest, is heartbroken. Eventually she is allowed to return for part of each year. Demeter's joy at her daughter's return brings spring and her grief at her departure brings winter.
4.) Multiple Choice Question
In which Disney film does the classical musical score The Rite of Spring appear?
- Sleeping Beauty
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
5.) Multiple Choice Question
In many cultures spring signals the annual tradition of cleaning the home. Which of these is used to remove rust?
- Parchment paper
- Corn starch
- Aluminium foil
6.) Multiple Choice Question
How many daffodils did Wordsworth see when he wandered lonely as a cloud?
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Who wrote Easter Parade, the theme song of the 1947 musical film starring Fred Astaire and Judy Garland (pictured)?
- Irving Berlin
- George Gershwin
- Noel Coward
- It is usually a female hitting a male to prevent copulation, according to BBC Nature. For a long time it had been thought to be an inter-male competition.
- It's dirt.
- It's the ankles. Throughout Greek mythology, ankles and heels are a symbol of vulnerability.
- It's Fantasia. The Rite of Spring was composed by Igor Stravinsky for a ballet of the same name. In the Disney film, a visual history of the Earth's beginnings is depicted to selected sections of the score.
- It's aluminium foil. A cheap way to remove rust from steel is to rub it with aluminium foil dipped in water.
- It's 10,000. I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud is William Wordsworth's most famous poem and was written in 1804. It is about daffodils he and his sister Dorothy came across while on a walk around Ullswater, in the Lake District.
- It was Irving Berlin.
0 - 3 : Mayday
4 - 6 : April shower
7 - 7 : On the March
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down).