7 questions on autographsContinue reading the main story
A Sir Paul McCartney fan has had an autograph and message he scribbled on her shoulder at a concert made into a tattoo. It reads: "Let It Be! Paul McCartney". So here are seven questions on autographs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
Who was named the top celebrity autograph signer, racking up the most in 2010?
- Tom Cruise
- George Clooney
- Johnny Depp
2.) Multiple Choice Question
What is the hobby of collecting autographs known as?
3.) Multiple Choice Question
Neil Armstrong is known for not signing autographs, and others have also told the public to stop asking for them. Which of these has NOT?
- Mel Gibson
- Nelson Mandela
- Ringo Starr
Last year the Nelson Mandela Foundation asked for a halt to requests for autographs, endorsements and interviews. It said Mandela received at least 4,000 such requests a month. In 2008 Ringo Starr announced via a video message on his website that he would no longer sign memorabilia for fans. He said he was too busy.
4.) Missing Word Question
A man's * is his signature
5.) Multiple Choice Question
The value of a person's autograph will often rise rapidly after their death. This is known in the collectables industry as what?
- Rarity jump
- James Dean effect
- After-life inflation
It's called this because the iconic actor died young so only a small number of his autographs are in existence, making them very valuable. The PFC40 Autograph Index, which tracks the price performance of 40 of the most regularly traded autographs, values a signed photo of Dean at £12,500 in 2011.
6.) Multiple Choice Question
A major report into autographed items sold online was conducted in 2008 by whom?
- French government
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Who boasts the world's most valuable living autograph?
- Neil Armstrong
- Tiger Woods
- Nelson Mandela
- It's Clooney, according to Autograph Collectors Daily. Depp has topped the list in past years and Cruise usually features in the top 10.
- It's philography. Signography relates to graphic signage, while graphology is the study and analysis of handwriting.
- It's Mel Gibson.
- It's kiss.
- It's the James Dean effect.
- It was the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) in the US. It found more than 70% of autographed items sold online are fake.
- It's Armstrong at £5,950, according to the PFC40 Autograph Index. Its value has risen by 981.8% over the past 11 years. A Tiger Woods autograph is worth £1,750, while Madonna's is worth £950. Mandela's autograph is not listed in the top 40 index.
0 - 3 : What a fake
4 - 6 : Needs some authentication
7 - 7 : Genuine article
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down).