Quiz of the week's newsContinue reading the main story
It's the Magazine's 7 days, 7 questions quiz - an opportunity to prove to yourself and others that you are a news oracle. Failing that, you can always claim to have had better things to do during the past week than swot up on current affairs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
More than 40% of police officers should have their basic salary cut, a review said this week. Bobbies have a higher starting salary than both nurses and firefighters. A mere £19 divides their initial wage, but who gets more?
2.) Multiple Choice Question
The United Nations expressed alarm at the huge decline of what this week?
3.) Multiple Choice Question
After speculation this week that she is to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress, Sarah Burton showed her latest collection for the Alexander McQueen label at Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday. It was inspired by someone regal, but whom?
- An ice queen
- A Russian princess
- A mistress of Henry VIII
4.) Multiple Choice Question
"Then I saw that horrific moment." Who said?
- Anti-smoking campaigner on seeing Kate Moss light up on a Paris catwalk on No Smoking Day
- Scottish national park boss on seeing 'offensive' names, like Giro Bay, printed on new maps
- King's Speech co-producer Simon Egan on his daughter smashing the film's best picture Oscar
Moss caused a stir smoking a cigarette as she modelled a creation by US designer Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton at Paris Fashion Week on Wednesday. It was No Smoking Day. Bosses at Loch Lomond National Park destroyed 3,000 copies of a new map which used controversial names for local landmarks.
5.) Multiple Choice Question
The 2011 Census forms have been sent out to households across the UK. This week also marks the anniversary of the first census in 1801. What was the estimated population of England and Wales at the time?
- 4.9 million
- 8.9 million
- 12.9 million
6.) Missing Word Question
Worker has 'I love * ' tattoo on his leg
- pay day
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Wednesday was the start of Lent for Christians, when they traditionally give up something they like for 40 days. Chocolate is the most popular thing people abstain from, but what is the second most popular?
- Social networking
- It's a nurse, who starts on £21,176. A firefighter gets £21,157. Police officers get a starting salary of £23,259.
- It's bees. In a report it called for an international effort to save them. It said out of the 100 crops which provide 90% of the world's food, around 71% are pollinated by bees. Bee numbers have declined by up to 85% in some areas.
- It's an ice queen. Burton was McQueen's right-hand woman for 15 years and was made creative director of the label after his death last year. She has denied she is making the dress.
- It's Simon Egan on his 15-month-old daughter Lara smashing the film's best picture Oscar. She was given the statuette to hold for a photograph at a post-Oscars party, but it slipped from her hand and landed on the concrete floor. It is now being repaired.
- It.s 8.9 million. The estimated population of Scotland was 1.6 million.
- It's Argos. Wayne Page, 37, from Colchester, Essex, had the tattoo done to help raise vital funds for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
- It's alcohol. Sugar is at number four, sex is at number seven, and social networking is at number nine, according to the Independent. By observing Lent, Christians replicate Jesus Christ's sacrifice and withdrawal into the desert for 40 days.
0 - 3 : Sinner
4 - 6 : Trying to be better
7 - 7 : Saint
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down). You can also do this quiz on your mobile device.