'Pain-patch' warning to patients

Skin patch being applied

Patients using patches containing potent painkillers are being urged to ensure they are thrown away carefully, by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

The medicines safety regulator said there had been cases of children accidentally coming into contact with the patches.

Fentanyl skin patches are used by patients with severe chronic pain.

However, accidental contact can cause "severe harm", the MHRA warned.

More than 12 million patches were prescribed in the UK last year.

The patches should be folded in half so that none of the pain-relieving layer is exposed.

Deputy director of vigilance and risk management of medicines at the MHRA, Dr Sarah Branch, said: "It is extremely important when applying a fentanyl skin patch that people check that they are stuck on securely.

"A patch may cause serious harm if it accidentally sticks to somebody else's skin or is swallowed.

"If a patch is transferred to another person, remove it and get medical help immediately. If a patch is swallowed, get medical help immediately."

More Health stories



Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.