Media playback is unsupported on your device

Campylobacter victim: 'I was completely paralysed'

16 June 2014 Last updated at 09:59 BST

Consumers are being warned to stop washing raw chicken as doing so increases the risk of food poisoning.

Rinsing poultry can spread campylobacter onto hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment and although most people who fall ill from the bacteria will recover, it can cause serious lasting damage.

Ann Edwards told the BBC she was completely paralysed when she fell victim to the bacteria, and that she still has some paralysis in her feet and low stamina more than 17 years later.

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.