Media playback is unsupported on your device

Baby poisoning bug 'difficult to treat', says scientist

5 June 2014 Last updated at 11:54 BST

A baby has died and 14 are ill from blood poisoning after being given what appears to be a contaminated intravenous drip.

ITH Pharma, the manufacturers of the drip, said they were "saddened" by the death and were doing everything they could to find out what happened.

Biomedical scientist, Dr Ron Cutler, said the Bacillus cereus bacterium responsible for the poisoning was "everywhere" and "very difficult to treat".

He told BBC Radio 5 live's Breakfast: "One would hope they've caught it early enough... It's quite a nasty organism in an adult. In a very young child, it is of course, far more dangerous."

Most watched

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.