Golden Globes: Ricky Gervais's best quips
- 16 January 2012
- From the section Entertainment & Arts
Eyebrows were raised when Britain's Ricky Gervais was invited back to host this year's Golden Globe awards.
The co-creator of The Office and Extras was criticised in some quarters for his acerbic quips at last year's ceremony.
Yet the 50-year-old was in more generous mood on Sunday night, which saw him poke fun at the great and good without drawing blood.
Here is a selection of his more memorable remarks.
- "Tonight you get Britain's biggest comedian, hosting the world's second biggest awards show on America's third biggest network [NBC]. Sorry, is it fourth? it's fourth."
- "For any of you who don't know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem."
- "The Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton. A bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker and more easily bought. Allegedly."
- "Who needs the Oscars? Not me and not Eddie Murphy [original host of next month's Academy Awards]. When the man who said yes to Norbit says no to you, you know you're in trouble."
- [On Boardwalk Empire] "It's about a load of immigrants who came to America about a hundred years ago, and they got involved in bribery and corruption and worked their way up into high society. But enough about the Hollywood Foreign Press.''
- [To winners] "You don't need to thank everyone you've ever met or members of your family, who have done nothing. Just the main two - your agent and God."
- "Our next presenter is the queen of pop - not you Elton, sit down. Please welcome Madonna."
- [On Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek] "They're ridiculously gorgeous specimens, they're extremely talented and probably very interesting. I'm not sure - I couldn't understand a [expletive] word they said."
- "What you don't know about Colin Firth is he's very racist. I've also seen him punch a little blind kitten."