Paralysed extra sues film company
A Transformers 3 extra who suffered brain damage when a stunt went wrong is suing Paramount Pictures.
Gabriela Cedillo's family have filed a legal case in Chicago, claiming Paramount and the film's location managers breached a duty of care.
The 24-year-old was left partially paralyzed and unable to speak when a thick slab of metal became dislodged from a stunt car and struck her head.
Paramount said it would "continue to provide" help for Ms Cedillo.
The actress, who remains in care at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago has no recollection of the accident.
According to the Chicago Tribune, she is permanently brain damaged, paralyzed on her left side and has her left eye stitched shut.
Ms Cedillo's older brother and legal guardian Adolfo Romo said the family was claiming in excess of $50,000 (£31,505) in damages.
"Never did we think she was going to be put in danger," he told reporters on Tuesday as legal papers were filed at Cook County Circuit Court.
The family's lawyer, Todd Smith added that the accident, which occurred last month, was "something that certainly should never have happened, something that we believe occurred as a result of carelessness".
In a statement, Paramount said: "Our thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with Gabriela, her family and loved ones.
"The production will continue to provide all the help we can to Gabriela and her family during this difficult time."
Extras on film sets are usually asked to sign liability waivers.
However, it will be down to the jury hearing this case to decide whether the studio owed a duty of care to Ms Cedillo.
The court will be looking for evidence that reasonable precautions were taken to prevent accidents.