South Yorkshire Police commissions an independent investigation into its handling of the Rotherham child abuse scandal, while Labour suspends four members in the town.
- Abuse researcher 'faced hostility'
- Victim was 'raped once a week'
- Abusers 'brazenly targeted girls'
- Ex-children's head 'must quit'
- Who was in charge in Rotherham?
Select your local area
Features & Analysis
Does England care if the Scots become independent?
The stories behind five football panic buys BBC Sport
The favourite school history trips that could be on the way out
Tracing the story of one family of WW1 refugees
But Orwell was a literary mediocrity, says Will Self