Walgreens to buy up Alliance Boots

Boots shop, Oxford Street, London Walgreens bought a 45% stake in the company in 2012, and now wants to buy the remaining 55% stake

Related Stories

High Street chemist Alliance Boots is to be bought up by US pharmacy giant Walgreens.

The board of Walgreens will now seek shareholder approval for the £9bn deal to go through.

Walgreens bought a 45% stake in the company in 2012 and now wants to buy the remaining 55% stake.

The firm said it would not use the deal to alter its current tax structure, and expects the merged company to be based in Chicago.

Boots will remain at its UK headquarters in Nottingham.

Cost reductions

The pharmacy chain has long been a mainstay of the UK retail scene, with 2,487 stores across the country.

It employs more than 60,000 people in the UK, including more than 6,500 pharmacists.

The impact of the buy-out on jobs is not yet clear.

Walgreens has said it will look to make cost reductions of $1bn over three years at "corporate, field and store-level" across all of its businesses.

However, it will also invest "across core businesses at suitable returns to drive organic growth".

Walgreen Co.

Last Updated at 18 Dec 2014, 16:01 ET *Chart shows local time Walgreen Co. intraday chart
price change %
74.38 +
+2.39
+
+3.32

Walgreens shares slumped 14% on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday.

Investors had expected the firm to move its headquarters abroad in order to cut its tax bill.

"We are excited to move forward with the next important step in becoming a new kind of global health care leader," said Walgreens chief executive Greg Wasson.

The new combined company will be called "Walgreens Boots Alliance", and its headquarters will be in the Chicago area, Walgreens said.

Mr Wasson will become chief executive of the new company, and Stefano Pessina, who is currently executive chairman of Alliance Boots, will report to Mr Wasson.

Walgreens, which started out in Chicago in 1901, had 248,000 employees in 2013.

It has 8,231 shops across all 50 US states and the federal District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the US Virgin Islands.

Tax plan ditched

Walgreens said it had thoroughly evaluated moving its headquarters abroad for tax purposes, but that the move would not have been feasible under current US tax rules.

A move would have put it at too much risk from scrutiny by the US tax authority, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the company said.

"We took into account all factors, including that we could not arrive at a structure that provided the company and our board with the requisite level of confidence that a transaction of this significance would need to withstand extensive IRS review and scrutiny," Mr Wasson said.

In addition, public opinion may have been against a move for tax purposes, the company added.

In May, pharmaceutical company Pfizer dropped a bid for UK company AstraZeneca following an outcry that it was partly motivated by a wish to buy the firm for tax reasons.

Being domiciled abroad is attractive for US companies because of the relatively high rate of US corporation tax compared with other countries.

Woman shopping in Walgreens US consumers are used to dozens of choices for the same basic drugs, like ibuprofen and cough medicine
line

Analysis

Kim Gittleson, BBC business reporter, New York

The first time I walked into a Boots in London, I was in search of something to soothe a scratchy throat - British dampness having taken its toll.

I scouted the shelves, only to be perplexed when there seemed to be just a handful of lozenges on offer. Could there really just be two generic brands for sale - not the dozens I was used to seeing on US pharmacy shelves?

This is not an uncommon experience for many Americans - and it is one reason why Walgreens, the US pharmacy chain that just snapped up Boots and its Swiss counterpart, distributor Alliance, does not seem to be interested in importing the Boots model wholesale to the US.

Rather, the company will test US appetites for British generics by importing a select few Boots brands, such as No7 and Botanics, to its US outlets, which include the Duane Reade pharmacy chain in New York.

In this way, it may avoid the disappointments so many other British imports have suffered - Tesco's recent effort with its Fresh & Easy chain of supermarkets comes to mind - while still taking advantage of the penchant that US consumers have for trying something new.

line

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Business stories

RSS

Business Live

  1.  
    06:48: Gas prices BBC Radio 4

    Professor Green says energy suppliers have an eye on politics at the moment. He says Labour leader Ed Miliband's promise to freeze energy prices for 20 months if his party wins next year's election may mean suppliers will keep prices artificially high despite currently benefitting from lower gas costs.

     
  2.  
    06:34: Gas prices BBC Radio 4

    While falling oil prices have recently caught the attention of many, the cost of gas has also been coming down. That's because demand in Europe has been falling due to a relatively warm winter so far. Richard Green professor of sustainable energy business at Imperial College London tells Today we shouldn't expect lower energy bills are a result. That's because energy suppliers are selling us gas they bought at last year's prices.

     
  3.  
    06:32: Asian markets

    Asian stock markets have had a mixed session. They Nikkei 225 is up more than 2%. Hong Kong's Hang Seng is up 1.4%. Shares in Shanghai have fallen back after hitting a four-year high in early trading. The Shanghai composite is down 0.1%.

     
  4.  
    06:21: China recalculates growth
    Chinese flag

    China's economy is bigger than originally thought. The government has revised up the size of the economy in 2013 by 3.4% to 58.8 trillion yuan ($9.5 trillion). The increase was mainly accounted for by a greater contribution from the services sector. In comparison, the US economy was worth almost $17 trillion in 2013.

     
  5.  
    06:14: IAG bid for Aer Lingus Radio 5 live
    Dublin Airport

    British Airways owner, IAG is "good at integrating new airlines" says Richard Hunter, head of equities at Hargreaves Lansdown. He is explaining why IAG made a bid for Aer Lingus. The Irish airline is attractive because it has lots of landing slots at Heathrow, says Mr Hunter. IAG may also have a bit more spending power because of the lower oil price, he adds.

     
  6.  
    06:06: North Sea oil jobs Radio 5 live
    Oil worker

    North Sea oil companies are cutting wages, rather than jobs at the moment, says Alan Savage chairman of recruitment company Orion Group on Radio 5 live. For agency workers wages have already been cut by up to 20%. He says that the British oil industry is highly taxed and the "government has a lot to answer for".

     
  7.  
    06:02: Russian crisis Radio 5 live
    Russian President, Vladimir Putin

    Next year is going to be grim for the Russian economy, says Craig Botham, emerging markets economist at Schroders on Radio 5 live. The economy is likely to contract 4.5%, inflation is forecast to be betweem 11% and 12%. The rouble could keep on weakening, "it's hard to see a particular floor for the currency" Mr Botham says.

     
  8.  
    05:59: Ben Morris Business Reporter

    Do get in touch. Email bizlivepage@bbc.co.uk or tweet @bbcbusiness.

     
  9.  
    05:59: Matthew West Business Reporter

    Morning folks. The news the US Federal Reserve is in no hurry to raise interest rates boosted shares on Wall Street and in Asia to new highs. Meanwhile the Bank of Japan maintained its commitment to government bond buying at its last meeting of the year. And we'll be keeping an eye on the Russia rouble and oil price again today and there may be more on IAG's bid for Aer Lingus. Stay with us.

     

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.