Royal Mail workers' strike cancelled

CWU picket from 2009 The Royal Mail was privatised earlier this month, an act opposed by many workers

Related Stories

A Royal Mail workers' strike planned for Monday has been called off after progress was made in talks over pay and pensions.

The Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) said they were committed to "finalising an agreement" by 13 November.

The planned industrial action would have been the first national strike at Royal Mail in almost four years.

The Royal Mail was privatised earlier this month.

Staff were given free shares in the company in an attempt to improve labour relations, with staff not allowed to sell their shares for at least three years.

Royal Mail shares are trading well above the 330p sale price they launched at earlier this month.

An offer made by Royal Mail management in the summer also included an 8.6% pay rise over three years.

But CWU members voted for strike action earlier in October after unions leaders called the deal "misleading and unacceptable", and demanded a longer-term agreement to protect postal workers' job security, pay and pensions.

The original ballot involved 115,000 postal workers in Royal Mail and Parcelforce, but not the Post Office, which is a separate business.

According to a joint statement issued by Royal Mail and the CWU, a new agreement will include an improved pay offer and a separate agreement for pensions.

Both parties said they would "ensure all our efforts are focused on reaching an agreement" by 13 November.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Business stories

RSS

BBC Business Live

  1.  
    QANTAS 06:12:
    A Qantas Airline plane gets takes off at Sydney Airport in Sydney on August 28, 2014

    Overnight Australia's national airliner Qantas reported a huge loss of A$2.8bn for the past year - its biggest ever. That was partly due to writing down the value of its planes by A$2.6bn. Qantas added weak domestic demand, poor consumer spending and rising fuel costs also contributed. Chief executive Alan Joyce tried to put some gloss on the figures: "There is no doubt today's numbers are confronting... but they represent the year that is past".

     
  2.  
    SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE 06:03:
    Saltire

    Pro-independence business people in Scotland have hit back. 200 of them have signed a letter, appearing in the Herald online, saying that the business case for independence "has been made - and it's strong and ambitious". They add: "The real threat to Scotland is the real possibility of a British exit from the European common market".

     
  3.  
    Rebecca Marston Business reporter, BBC News

    The monitor has been fitted and off we go. You can plug in to us bizlive@bbc.co.uk or @bbcbusiness. Here until 13:00.

     
  4.  
    06:00: Ian Pollock Business reporter, BBC News

    Good morning, the Business Live page will have its finger on the business pulse, just for you.

     

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.