Penguin and Random House merger approved by Brussels

Pengion and Random House UK logos The merger is expected to be completed before the end of this year

Related Stories

The proposed merger of Penguin and Random House has been given the go-ahead by the European Commission.

Brussels said the merged business - which will be the world's largest book publisher - would not raise competition concerns, because it will "face several strong competitors".

Random House's German parent firm, Bertelsmann, will own 53% of the new venture, with Pearson, Penguin's owner, controlling the remaining 47%.

The merger was announced last October.

US competition authorities had already cleared the deal in February.

The merger is expected to be completed in the second half of this year, and the business will simply be called Penguin Random House.

The world's other largest publishing groups are Hachette, HarperCollins, Macmillan and Simon & Schuster.

Penguin Random House






New York

Offices around the world






Books sold a year

110 million (physical books only)

400 million (includes audio and digital)

Number of different titles in print



Revenue in 2011



Examples of authors

George Orwell, Jack Kerouac, John Le Carre, David Lodge, Jane Austen, Roald Dahl, Stephen King

John Grisham, Ken Follett, Richard Dawkins, Kazuo Ishiguro, Philip Pullman

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Business stories



  • photo of patient zero, two year-old Emile OuamounoPatient zero

    Tracking first Ebola victim and and how virus spread

  • A young Chinese girl looks at an image of BarbieBarbie's battle

    Can the doll make it in China at the second attempt?

  • Prosperi in the 1994 MdSLost in the desert

    How I drank urine and bat blood to survive in the Sahara

  • Afghan interpetersBlacklisted

    The Afghan interpreters left by the US to the mercy of the Taliban

  • Flooded homesNo respite

    Many hit by last winter's floods are struggling to pay soaring insurance bills

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.