Quiz of the week's newsContinue reading the main story
It's the Magazine's 7 days, 7 questions quiz - an opportunity to prove to yourself and others that you are a news oracle. Failing that, you can always claim to have had better things to do during the past week than swot up on current affairs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
An item with the number 777-7777 attached to it sold for just over $2m (£1.2m) in Abu Dhabi. What was it?
- Bank account number
- Car registration
- Phone number
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Bradley Wiggins has revealed himself to be a fan of a long-running show after agreeing to appear on it. What is the show?
- France 3's Plus Belle La Ville
- Fox's The Simpsons
- BBC Radio 4's The Archers
- Sirius XM's Theme Time Radio Hour
3.) Multiple Choice Question
The US Mint is about to produce an unusually shaped coin in honour of which sport?
- American Football
The coin will feature a unique "curve" to reflect the shape of the game's best pitches. It will display the image of a baseball on one side and a glove on the other and come in five-dollar, one-dollar and half-dollar denominations.
4.) Multiple Choice Question
Which song did the Rolling Stones' official Twitter feed say they had been told not to play at a gig in Shanghai this week, because of its lyrics?
- Sympathy for the Devil
- Honky Tonk Women
- Little Red Rooster
5.) Multiple Choice Question
Half of what need to be replaced on England's major roads, according to a report that surveyed around 2,500 miles (4,000km) of roads in England?
- Cat's eyes
- Light bulbs
- White lines
6.) Missing Word Question
Neanderthals gave us * genes
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Scientists believe they have solved the riddle of why many animals avoid electricity pylons. Which of the following can the animals detect from the power cables that humans can't?
- UV flashes
- High-pitched humming
- Magnetic forces
- It was a mobile phone number, which was auctioned along with an accompanying bumper package for charity. However, the unnamed buyer does not actually own the number, as all numbers technically belong to the government.
- It's the Archers. Wiggins grew up with the radio soap on in the background and will make a cameo appearance for Sport Relief. "There was no way I could turn it down," he said.
- It's baseball. See next page.
- It's Honky Tonk Women. "About now we'd usually play something like Honky Tonk Women... but it's been vetoed," Mick Jagger said at the show, according to a posting on the band's official Twitter feed.
- It's white lines, according to a survey by the Road Safety Markings Association (RSMA).
- Gene types that influence disease in people today were picked up through interbreeding with Neanderthals, a study in Nature journal suggested.
- It's the UV flashes that are invisible to humans. The first animal to reveal its UV sensitivity was the reindeer. Reindeers' avoidance of the power lines running across the Arctic tundra was part of the inspiration for the project.
0 - 3 : Neanderthal
4 - 6 : Missing link
7 - 7 : Highly evolved
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down).