10 things we didn't know last week
- 23 August 2013
1. Nasa employs a "chief sniffer" who smells materials and components before they are used in space.
2. The most tweeted moment of all time came when Japanese TV screened a classic anime film.
3. Birds are aware of speed limits on roads.
4. Toilet users in Shenzhen, China, can be fined if they fail to urinate accurately.
5. Polyamorous people have invented a word to indicate the opposite feeling of jealousy - compersion.
6. Volcanoes in New Zealand once were warriors, believe the Maori, who also regard these mountains as ancestors.
7. US Supreme Court justices use ivory paper memos rather than emails.
8. Donkeys in Kenya's Rift Valley take "annual leave" from their owners.
9. Wolves howl more when they lose a close friend.
10. People shown silent videos of piano competitions can pick out the winners more often than those who are also played the music.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek