10 things we didn't know last week
1. Beer bellies are a myth - alcohol does not target the gut.
2. Birds are suffering from the "harmful misuse" of mobile phone apps that mimic birdsong.
3. There's a previously undiscovered sixth layer in the eye's cornea - the Dua layer.
4. Cats born with two faces are known as Janus cats.
5. Chickens lost their penises because of a gene called Bmp4.
6. Until recently the US Navy had a requirement that all official messages be sent in capital letters.
7. Men are to blame for the menopause.
8. A flamingo-like pterosaur used gravel to aid digestion.
9. A protein called myoglobin allows mammals including whales and seals to hold their breath underwater for an hour.
10. Venezuelans are using mobile phone apps to locate scarce toilet paper.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek