Poppy the dog with an Easter egg
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

How Easter egg nearly killed Poppy the dog

Dog owners are being warned to keep Easter eggs well out of reach of their pets after a dog from Cardiff ate a chocolate egg and could have died.

Sally Riella came home from work to discover Poppy had devoured the chocolate eggs in her shopping.

As little as 500g (1.1lbs) can prove fatal to a dog of Poppy's size, as they are allergic to a chemical in chocolate called theobromine.

Poppy's now recovered after receiving treatment from the PDSA in Cardiff but her owner spoke to Arwyn Jones and Nelli Bird on BBC Radio Wales about her ordeal.

Dog nearly dies eating Easter egg

Dog nearly dies eating Easter egg

  • 30 Mar 2013
  • From the section Wales