Ami Dean and Philip McQuillin
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Babies 'died in mother's arms' after morphine overdose

There were "failings" in the care of premature twins who died after being given an overdose of morphine, a coroner has ruled.

Alfie and Harry McQuillin, who were born at Stafford Hospital, died on 1 November 2010, at two days old.

Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said the morphine overdose "played a part in their deaths" but the hospital was not guilty of gross neglect.

The babies' parents, Ami Dean and Philip McQuillin, said the memory of their sons' dying moments will never leave them.

  • 23 May 2012
Go to next video: Twins' death: 'Failings' in care