Government urged to publish 'terror guidelines'

Binyam Mohamed Binyam Mohamed's case has raised the profile of interrogation techniques

Related Stories

The government is facing growing demands to publish guidance given to UK intelligence officers interrogating terrorist suspects overseas.

A Human Rights Watch report has called for "publication without delay".

It follows a legal ruling last week, ordering disclosure of the guidelines issued to MI5 and MI6 officials in 2002, updated in 2004.

In a separate hearing on Monday, lawyers indicated existing guidelines would be published "very soon".

The Labour government had refused to publish the 2002 guidelines, because, in the words of former foreign secretary David Miliband, it would "give succour to our enemies".

Extracts from those guidelines were quoted in a parliamentary report, but Human Rights Watch say that does not go far enough.

It is calling for an end to intelligence material obtained from third countries through the use of torture.

It claims "extensive intelligence cooperation with countries known to torture is all the more troubling given that the guidelines governing such work are not yet subject to public scrutiny."

Lengthy battle likely

In March 2009, the then prime minister Gordon Brown promised to reveal the guidelines which are currently in place. That is still to happen.

Though the coalition government has indicated it will release the guidelines currently in place, it has until early next month to decide whether to oppose the order to disclose the historic guidelines.

Lawyers for a group of former detainees at Guantanamo argue that those documents will show what members of MI5 and MI6 were allowed to do during the period when the men were seized and interrogated.

The men allege the British authorities caused or contributed to their ill-treatment.

Last week a judge described their claims as "of very substantial constitutional importance."

He ruled in favour of publication to speed up proceedings in what is set to be a long, costly legal battle.

He said: "The extraordinary past and anticipated delays in disclosure of the guidance documents requires the court to take decisive actions."

Mr Justice Silber told the court there were 250,000 documents which might be disclosable as part of the class action claim.

It was also revealed that there are now six government lawyers, 20 junior barristers and 10 officials working on document disclosure.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More UK stories

RSS

Features

  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Worcestershire flagFlying the flag

    Preserving the identities of England's counties


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


  • Two women in  JohanesburgYour pictures

    Readers' photos on the theme of South Africa


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.