Sussex animal rescue worker attacked by snake in Lewes

Adder The snake was being freed from netting when it bit Trevor Weeks

Related Stories

The head of a Sussex animal rescue charity is recovering at home after being bitten by an adder.

Trevor Weeks collapsed after being bitten as he tried to free the reptile from netting.

Mr Weeks, the director of the Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS), said he suffered an "almost fatal but rare reaction".

Doctors at the Royal Sussex County Hospital administered emergency aid to counteract the venomous bite.

Mr Weeks said: "I would like to thank the nurses, the paramedics, as well as the doctors and nurses for their expert care and attention in looking after me so well.

"It cannot have been easy for my girlfriend Kathy being told that I might not make it, so thank you for being there."

Mr Weeks, who was not wearing gloves, said he did not want people to be worried about snakes in their gardens following Saturday's attack.

He said: "Less than 1 in 5 bites are venomous, normally the first bite is a warning.

"In situations like this rescuers are more at risk and examining (the snake) for wounds cannot be done with thick gloves on either."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sussex

Weather

Brighton

5 °C -1 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.