Teachers hurt in chemical spill at Abbot Beyne School

Abbot Beyne School A glass vial broke, releasing a small volume of vapour

Two teachers have been taken to hospital following a chemical spill at a school in east Staffordshire.

Abbot Beyne School in Osborne Road, Winshill, was evacuated at about 1215 BST after a glass vial broke, releasing a small volume of vapour.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said two female teachers were taken to Queens Hospital, Burton-upon-Trent, for treatment.

A hazardous material and environmental protection officer went to the scene.

'Gas-tight suits'

Four fire engines and an incident response unit were also sent to the school.

Officials have not yet revealed which chemical was involved.

"Firefighters in gas-tight suits have assessed the scene and made it safe and a specialist hazardous waste company will be disposing of the chemical in line with regulations," a spokesman for the fire service said.

"The school did exactly the right thing by immediately evacuating the pupils.

"We'd like to reassure parents that the children have not been exposed to the chemical and the area will be fully ventilated and de-contaminated before the pupils are allowed to return."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire

Weather

Stoke-on-Trent

13 °C 10 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.