President Vladimir Putin insists Russia's under-fire currency will stabilise, but warns the country's economic crisis could last two years.
- Russians fear return to 1998 crisis
- Peston: Russia's fast track to ruin
- Falling oil prices: Winners and losers
Councils in England are to learn later how much money they will have to spend on local services such as waste collection and road maintenance in 2015-16.
The director of Premier Oil says no new North Sea projects are profitable with oil below $60 a barrel and the industry is "close to collapse".
Opportunities to prosecute Jimmy Savile and a former mayor of Scarborough for child sex abuse were missed due to police "organisational failure".
- 'Walking' again after 10 years
- Returning to football after coming out
- 'Ice pancakes' form on River Dee00:29
- Talking Movies' top 10 films of 201404:02
- Glitter woes for Royal Mail sorters01:28
- Chester player takes the biscuit00:35
- 'Buddhist bug' art explores difference02:36
- Festive park shuts permanently01:53
UK & Local News
Live coverage of the Commons, including an urgent questions on A&E performance
Find a representative
- Sony 'forced' to bow to film hackers02:02
- Reactions to thaw in Cuba-US ties01:30
- 'Shock and disbelief' in Peshawar02:57
- US navy develops 'fish' robot00:40
- Has the high street got worse?04:05
- Newsnight's take on big themes of 201503:54
- Cameron brands rival 'a waste of space'02:09
- Woman bishop: 'I've been blessed'02:08
The 49 children who made it to an unlikely nativity
The buildings that would once have been impossible
A handy self-portrait device or a narcissistic vanity tool?
The ordinary Russians who have gone on crusade in Ukraine
The boats of guns floating around the Indian Ocean
Cuba's relationship with the US in 16 images
Those who plan to spend the day working rather than celebrating
Seven more marathon penalty shootouts BBC Sport
Making a Christmas special 'special'
Brit boozer goes dark in Los Angeles
- North Sea oil industry 'close to collapse'
- Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats
- Putin addresses Russia amid economic crisis
- Councils braced for funding cuts
- Royal Mail privatisation £180m underpriced, review says
- The Interview: Dismay at Sony film cancellation
- London overtaking Oxbridge domination
- Mobile firms and government agree deal to reduce 'not-spots'
- UK using less energy despite growing economy, report finds
- Floating arsenals: The boats full of guns for hire against pirates
Last Updated at 04:54 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7586.63||Up||31.44||0.42%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
What's the hidden code that makes modern life possible?