The US and allied nations have launched a campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, the Pentagon says.
- Battle for Iraq and Syria in maps
- What is Islamic State?
- Islamic State: Where key countries stand
- IS challenges US to put boots on ground
Labour leader Ed Miliband will set out a 10-year plan to make Britain a "world class country" in his final conference speech before the general election.
Alex Salmond is to address Holyrood for the first time since Scotland rejected independence and is expected to call for the voting age to be lowered.
Other Top Stories
Militants linked to Islamic State have seized a French man in Algeria and demanded an end to French air strikes in Iraq, France confirms.
The man who broke into the White House on Friday had 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets in his car, officials say.
- Giant Galapagos tortoise preserved00:26
- Pink Floyd unveil new album cover03:15
- Crossrail work reveals Brunel rail structures02:07
- Tippers left cows buried in rubbish01:47
- Faking gay marriage to live in the UK02:51
- App helps you 'wake up with a stranger'01:48
- Sculptor creates art using toy bricks00:59
- Inside a remote Myanmar rebel camp06:44
UK & Local News
Tory MP John Baron asks an urgent question on the government's response to Islamic State.
Find a representative
- Fleeing Syria with a day-old baby02:43
- Day and night search for missing Alice02:37
- Ed Balls sorry for bloodied reporter01:39
- 'Net cast wide' in Thai killer hunt01:17
- Tesco boss wants full and frank inquiry01:34
- Alice Gross police search canal02:06
- HK protests: 'We have to fight'01:27
- Mars Maven mission arrives in orbit 01:41
Why is the Birmingham accent so difficult to mimic?
The 900 year story behind the creation of a UK parliament
How lasers have revealed an ancient city beneath the forest
Are trailer videos on social media spoiling theatre?
White House break-in adds to Secret Service woes
Hostages' families roll the dice with public appeals for release
- Fresh look at plain cigarette packs
- India launches bank accounts for all
- US begins air strikes in Syria
- Thatcher told 'abandon Liverpool'
- The world's most sleep-starved students
- Sam Pepper 'has gone too far this time'
- How lasers revealed a lost city in the jungle
- White House intruder had ammo in car
- Salmond to make voting age call
- Salmond has 'lost plot' says Darling
Last Updated at 22:18 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7450.61||Down||-14.53||-0.19%|