Islamic State jihadists demanded a $132m (£80m) ransom for the release of US journalist James Foley, his employer GlobalPost says.
Veteran MPs Jack Straw and Margaret Beckett urge further scrutiny of the proposed appointment of the new House of Commons clerk amid an ongoing row.
Veteran human rights campaigner Helen Bamber, who was among the first to relieve Nazi concentration camp victims in 1945, dies.
- Bombers in historic Lincoln flypast 01:44
- Hanoi gardens' blooming trade01:38
- Man named world's oldest, aged 11101:07
- 'Our friend has given us a son'02:19
- Meet S Korea's secret weapon02:38
- Hood and jazz shoes: Red Riding retold02:44
- Anastacia talks big and little things03:20
- Young Doctor Who fans meet Capaldi02:04
UK & Local News
Israel's response to rocket attacks must be "proportionate", insists a minister.
Find a representative
- One year on from Sarin attack in Syria05:34
- Police tackle wrong-way driver head on00:45
- Ebola survivor 'thrilled to be alive'03:05
- Mystery of closed Moscow McDonald's02:34
- The MI5 hunt for journalist's killer02:06
- Mass rally as Hamas leaders buried01:14
- Gulnara treated 'worse than dog' 02:11
- Iraqi baby girl named 'refugee'03:14
What are the main reasons men pay for sex?
How Sam Cam's ancestor 'reinvented' walking
The 83-year-old still tied to Brazil's Big Island prison
The town that would have to rebrand if Scotland votes Yes
Why was this man refused entry to Dubai?
Can Indonesia's Jokowi meet voters' expectations?
Dutch grapple with jihadist threat from some young Muslims
Tilbury Docks container stowaway tells BBC he feared for his life
- What are the main reasons men pay for sex?
- 'Jihadi John' and fears for Gazza
- The town at the centre of Britain
- Metered water could cost double
- Russia widens McDonald's food probe
- Teacher punched and swore at pupils
- Comedian read paper while driving
- Foley killers 'wanted $132m ransom'
- Ten days left to vacuum up a cleaner
- Quiz of the week's news
Last Updated at 21:58 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7365.41||Up||8.99||0.12%|