The police and security services should get new powers to defend the UK from a terror threat "perhaps greater than it has ever been", the home secretary says.
- The challenge of unmasking net users
- How serious is IS threat to the UK?
- Is it right to pay ransoms?
- Can UK stop jihadists coming home?
Chuck Hagel has resigned as US defence secretary after less than two years in the post, following a series of meetings with President Barack Obama.
"Recall" powers, which could see MPs subject to a public vote on their future in cases of serious misconduct, are backed by the House of Commons.
- Lewis Hamilton's season in numbers01:14
- My wife fell for one of her students
- Volcano erupts on Cape Verde island00:39
- Israel: 'Don't give Iran atomic bombs'01:48
- Looted 'Nazi art' to be returned01:44
- Blind newsreader: How I deliver news
- On the hunt for warlord Joseph Kony07:33
- NHS pay: Staff morale is 'dreadful'02:20
Can Villa finally win? Or will the Saints close the gap on Chelsea? Updates and radio commentary, social media and pundit analysis.
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Monday in the Commons, including scrutiny of the Recall of MPs Bill.
Find a representative
- Christmas attraction leaves visitors cold01:49
- Man's 20-year fake identity02:09
- Stunning one-handed NFL catch00:46
- Cyclists find baby in Sydney drain01:53
- US police kill boy carrying fake gun01:41
- First Italian woman arrives at ISS02:02
- Dad got 'Jihadi' son back from Syria
- Hollande affair: 'I didn't attempt suicide'05:47
The couple who helped Tesco change the way many of us shop
One woman's journey from a village to death in the big city
How easy is it to fly Britain's next-gen fighter jet?
What has the impact of the protest movement been?
How did a baby survive for five days in a drain?
Countries with the most shocking photos on cigarette boxes
Maid child abuse shocks Uganda
A teenager who was groomed in Yorkshire tells her story
- Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson jury reaches verdict
- Bradford court hears teacher and assistant 'taped pupil to chair'
- Bermondsey shooting: Teenager dies in hospital
- RBS 'wanted critic Tomlinson's mortgage back'
- Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen vows action on Christmas park complaints
- Terrorism laws: 'Time is right' for new police powers
- Turkey president Erdogan: Women are not equal to men
- Over 40s being 'frozen out' of home loans
- Yorkshire Muslim girl speaks of grooming ordeal
- #BBCtrending: Video of nanny abusing toddler shocks Uganda
Last Updated at 16:17 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7912.24||Down||-4.91||-0.06%|