Both suspects in the killing of a serving soldier in London were known to security services, senior Whitehall sources confirm to the BBC.
- Mark Easton: Ordinary v extreme
- Woolwich mourns murdered soldier
- Woolwich: Eyewitness accounts
- Woolwich murder: The suspects
IMF chief Christine Lagarde arrives at a Paris court for questioning over a payout to a tycoon when she was French finance minister.
- Burning US railroad bridge collapses00:32
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
- Oklahoma: Frantic search for boy03:36
- Toxic rice causes concern in China01:10
- New cruise route to North Korea01:21
- Fourth night of riots in Sweden01:31
- Tornado clean-up begins in Oklahoma01:28
- 'Lack of trust' between Russia and Europe02:42
Other Top Stories
Space engineers in Ecuador are trying to establish if the country's only satellite has been damaged in a crash with space debris.
Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani accuses the country's leadership of ignorance after he is barred from running for office, say reports.
A Florida man who was shot and killed by Boston bombing investigators was about to confess to a 2011 triple murder before he died, FBI officials say.
- Journey into an Icelandic volcano03:37
- Iron Man 3 is a superhero in China01:48
- Hong Kong gets new electric taxis01:12
- One-minute World News01:00
- Film charts China's thirst for red wine03:59
- Croatian PM on relations with Serbia05:10
- Singapore's ethical jewellery outlet 01:43
- Building boom in Saudi Arabia03:28
US town's slow tornado recovery offers lessons for Oklahoma
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Ten great villains modelled on Machiavelli
Why Afghan children are learning the art of skateboarding
The elaborate funeral planned for Nigerian author Chinua Achebe
Is it possible to kick-start science?
Andrew Harding assesses South Africa's changing economy
What has caused the world's opinion of Britain to improve?
The lives of the male masseurs of Mumbai
How England saved its heritage from ruin
UK security chiefs had feared an attack, writes Dominic Casciani
- Security services knew Woolwich men
- Stockholm riots spread around city
- Are people drinking too much coffee?
- Shot US suspect 'admitted' murder
- US 'faith healers killed own baby'
- Ecuador satellite space crash fears
- Cave paintings uncovered in Mexico
- 10 of popular culture's best Machiavellian characters
- Day in pictures: 23 May 2013
- Rafsanjani criticises Iran's leaders