President Obama defends the use of drones in a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants, while vowing again to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.
- Mardell: A promise without a path
- Legal case revealed
- The cost of secret drone war
- Viewpoint: Drones and modern war
The Boy Scouts of America votes to welcome openly gay scouts, after a divisive campaign that pitted liberals against some religious groups.
- Burning US railroad bridge collapses00:32
- Obama heckled over Guantanamo Bay01:30
- UN brigade to 'enforce peace' in Congo02:30
- 80-year-old claims new Everest record02:18
- Fourth night of riots in Sweden01:31
- New cruise route to North Korea01:21
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
Other Top Stories
Nasa is looking for commercial operators to lease a historic launch pad in Florida used for the first Moon missions and by the Atlantis shuttle.
The WHO urges countries with possible cases of novel coronavirus to share information amid concern over patent rights held by commercial labs.
- Journey into an Icelandic volcano03:37
- Iron Man 3 is a superhero in China01:48
- Hong Kong gets new electric taxis01:12
- One-minute World News01:00
- Film charts China's thirst for red wine03:59
- South Africa's 'rising confidence'02:06
- Croatian PM on relations with Serbia05:10
- Building boom in Saudi Arabia03:28
South African rapper determined to prove Afrikaans is "cool"
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Ten great villains modelled on Machiavelli
The automobile that takes off and lands like a helicopter
What has caused the world's opinion of Britain to improve?
The lives of the male masseurs of Mumbai
How England saved its heritage from ruin
- Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- Stockholm riots spread around city
- Genetics of white tigers pinpointed
- Obama defends 'just' drones war
- US Boy Scouts to allow gay members
- Russia to evacuate Arctic station
- Nasa to lease shuttle launch pad
- Germany tops BBC country image poll
- The uneven charm of Rome's cobblestones
- Are people drinking too much coffee?