The UK's terror threat level is raised from "substantial" to "severe" in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the government announces.
George Galloway has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw after he was attacked on a London street, his spokesman says.
The International Monetary Fund expresses confidence in its leader Christine Lagarde, despite her being formally investigated for negligence in France.
The health of a five-year-old boy taken from hospital by his parents against medical advice will deteriorate rapidly as the battery on his feeding system is likely to have run out, police say.
- Dahl: Charlie chapters discovered02:28
- Rides and risks in huge California waves02:37
- Horse dances to Shakira at Games01:25
- BBC presenter Amroliwala's best bits02:34
- Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers'01:12
- Song of a four-storey 'earth harp'01:48
- Millions spent on restoring moors01:33
- 100-year-old tortoise is on the move01:10
UK & Local News
MPs approve the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill at second reading.
Find a representative
- Kurdish father's grief at son's death03:06
- Cyclist attempts race in Himalayas 01:37
- Why has the terror level changed?02:20
- Iceland volcano fissure seen from air01:34
- Displaced, desperate: Syrians seek refuge 01:39
- Missing boy's 'life is in danger'02:30
- Nato: Russia illegally crossed border02:30
- Grandad's anguish at 13-year-old's abuse03:30
Can the fear of being seen as racist cause problems
The bizarre tale of the pig singing competition
The multi-million dollar makeover that's divided a nation
Yawning is contagious for wolves, and other nuggets
How your landlord could soon be a corporate brand
Three weeks until Scotland votes - this week's key moments
The natural resources used to make 'green' homes
Animal nightlife - and other great natural images from ecology photo contest
The quest to find the perfect party anthem.
The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP
The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814
- Johnson to seek 2015 Commons return
- Labour promises more free childcare
- George Galloway attacked on street
- The sex manual for ultra-Orthodox Jews
- The makeover that's divided a nation
- The fear of being seen as racist
- MSN Messenger to end after 15 years
- TUC turns funding fire on Tories
- UK's terror threat level raised
- Missing boy's 'life is in danger'
Last Updated at 22:54 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7381.14||Up||10.00||0.14%|