President Obama defends the use of drones in a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants, while vowing again to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.
- Mardell: A promise without a path
- Legal case revealed
- The cost of secret drone war
- Viewpoint: Drones and modern war
The Boy Scouts of America organisation votes to welcome openly gay scouts, after a divisive campaign that pitted liberals against some religious groups.
- Burning US railroad bridge collapses00:32
- Obama heckled over Guantanamo Bay01:30
- UN brigade to 'enforce peace' in Congo02:30
- 80-year-old claims new Everest record02:18
- Fourth night of riots in Sweden01:31
- New cruise route to North Korea01:21
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
Other Top Stories
The WHO urges countries with possible cases of novel coronavirus to share information amid concern over patent rights held by commercial labs.
Czech police are looking for a US man suspected of killing a family of four, including two ukulele musicians, in the southern city of Brno.
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Ten great villains modelled on Machiavelli
The automobile that takes off and lands like a helicopter
How Nigeria is bidding farewell to author Chinua Achebe
Andrew Harding assesses South Africa's changing economy
What has caused the world's opinion of Britain to improve?
The lives of the male masseurs of Mumbai
How England saved its heritage from ruin
- Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- Stockholm riots spread around city
- Russia to evacuate Arctic station
- US Boy Scouts to allow gay members
- US man sought over Czech murders
- Dutch trader arrested over horsemeat
- Cave paintings uncovered in Mexico
- Obama defends 'just' drones war
- Genetics of white tigers pinpointed
- Germany tops BBC country image poll