President Obama defends the use of drones in a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants, while vowing again to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.
- Mardell: A promise without a path
- Legal case revealed
- The cost of secret drone war
- Viewpoint: Drones and modern war
The Boy Scouts of America votes to welcome openly gay scouts, after a divisive campaign that pitted liberals against some religious groups.
- Burning US railroad bridge collapses00:32
- Obama heckled over Guantanamo Bay01:30
- UN brigade to 'enforce peace' in Congo02:30
- Second jewel theft at Cannes festival01:27
- 80-year-old claims new Everest record02:18
- Fourth night of riots in Sweden01:31
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
Other Top Stories
Nasa is looking for commercial operators to lease a historic launch pad in Florida used for the first Moon missions and by the Atlantis shuttle.
The WHO urges countries with possible cases of novel coronavirus to share information amid concern over patent rights held by commercial labs.
South African rapper determined to prove Afrikaans is "cool"
The English phrases readers love to hear spoken by the French
Muslim leaders take trip to Nazi concentration camps
How German football reinvented itself BBC Sport
The search for continental unity, 50 years on
India cricket fans distraught over IPL fixing claims
- Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- US Boy Scouts to allow gay members
- Cockroaches evolving to evade traps
- Russia to evacuate Arctic station
- Stockholm riots spread around city
- Germany tops BBC country image poll
- WHO urges sharing over coronavirus
- Nasa to lease shuttle launch pad
- US man sought over Czech murders
- The uneven charm of Rome's cobblestones