Both suspects in the killing of a serving soldier in London were known to security services, senior Whitehall sources confirm to the BBC.
- Mark Easton: Ordinary v extreme
- Woolwich mourns murdered soldier
- Woolwich: Eyewitness accounts
- In Pictures: Woolwich terror attack
Space engineers in Ecuador are trying to establish if the country's only satellite has been damaged in a crash with space debris.
- Burning US railroad bridge collapses00:32
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
- Oklahoma: Frantic search for boy03:36
- Toxic rice causes concern in China01:10
- New cruise route to North Korea01:21
- Fourth night of riots in Sweden01:31
- Tornado clean-up begins in Oklahoma01:28
- 'Lack of trust' between Russia and Europe02:42
Other Top Stories
Global stock markets fall after weak Chinese economic data and concerns the US Federal Reserve may scale back monetary stimulus.
A Russian drifting Arctic research station is to be evacuated because the ice field around it is melting, Moscow reports.
A former Iranian president accuses the country's leadership of ignorance after he is barred from running for office, say reports.
- Journey into an Icelandic volcano03:37
- Iron Man 3 is a superhero in China01:48
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- One-minute World News01:00
- Hong Kong gets new electric taxis01:12
- Film charts China's thirst for red wine03:59
- Croatian PM on relations with Serbia05:10
- Building boom in Saudi Arabia03:28
US town's slow tornado recovery offers lessons for Oklahoma
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Ten great villains modelled on Machiavelli
Why Afghan children are learning the art of skateboarding
The elaborate funeral planned for Nigerian author Chinua Achebe
Is it possible to kick-start science?
Andrew Harding assesses South Africa's changing economy
What has caused the world's opinion of Britain to improve?
The lives of the male masseurs of Mumbai
How England saved its heritage from ruin
Society cannot control every extremist, says Mark Easton
- Security services knew Woolwich men
- Stockholm riots spread around city
- Russia to evacuate Arctic station
- Ecuador satellite space crash fears
- US 'faith healers killed own baby'
- Shot US suspect 'admitted' murder
- Are people drinking too much coffee?
- Cave paintings uncovered in Mexico
- Woolwich attack reaction
- Global markets fall on growth fears