The fight against Islamic State may take years, a US military spokesman tells the BBC, as more than 50 countries are said to have joined a US-led coalition.
Other Top Stories
China and the US agree they must lead the rest of the world in reducing emissions to combat climate change, as a major UN summit closes in New York.
India becomes the fourth nation to put a satellite into orbit around Mars, as Mangalyaan arrives to study the Red Planet's atmosphere.
- In 60 seconds: What does IS want?01:01
- Syrian Kurds 'grateful for air strikes'02:26
- Explosions mark start of new offensive03:06
- Syria conflict 'enters new phase'02:43
- What the air strikes mean for the region02:33
- US Navy video shows missile launches01:29
- Reaction from key countries05:32
- Pentagon: Syria air strikes 'success'02:02
- DiCaprio: Climate change 'not a fiction'02:09
- For auction: Woolly mammoth skeleton01:14
- 'Mass murder': Boat survivors on horror02:50
- 'Top swap' scheme launched in Moscow01:59
- Norfolk Sea Life Sanctuary reopens 01:46
- Just how black can black be?03:27
- WW1 bus retraces Ypres battle routes02:57
- Teenagers shy to talk about cancer02:16
UK & Local News
Tory MP John Baron asks an urgent question on the government's response to Islamic State.
Find a representative
- Colombia tower blocks demolished 01:02
- Dave Lee Travis guilty of indecent assault02:29
- Alice: Suspect's mother-in-law speaks01:47
- Murray: 'I don't regret giving an opinion'00:48
- NHS staff to help in Ebola areas01:58
- Syrian refugees need urgent care02:17
- White House intruder 'had ammo'02:10
- Global push to tackle climate change02:13
Forgotten snaps show clowning around and day trips to gallows
How technology is changing disaster relief
Yazidi call for help to save those still held by IS militants
Inside the world of Singapore's birdsinging competitions
Should 16 and 17-year-olds get the vote?
How playing Salome changed Jessica Chastain's life
Demanding justice for thousands abused by Irish nuns
The one show that made Britain's most famous artists
The off-air gaffes which preceded 'Purr-gate'
- 'U-turn' over scrapping of GCSEs
- Europe: The power battles begin again
- Emma Watson targeted by web trolls
- Jihadist fight 'may take years' - US
- Day out at the gallows and other Victorian photographic oddities
- India gears up for big Mars moment
- Alice suspect 'made weapon to kill'
- Hostage family receives plea for life
- France urges reform of 'remote' EU
Last Updated at 00:26 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7405.13||Down||-30.46||-0.41%|