A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- DNA project 'to make UK world leader'
- Massive DNA volunteer hunt begins
- Science enters $1,000 genome era
Dozens of child abuse survivors urge the government to scrap an inquiry into historical abuse and replace it with a more powerful body.
The gunman who shot dead two New York policemen told people "watch what I'm going to do" shortly before the killings, police say.
Business lobby group the CBI says half of UK firms plan to expand their workforce next year, with more permanent jobs being created than temporary ones.
Caretaker leader Moncef Marzouki refuses to admit defeat in Tunisia's first free presidential election after exit polls suggest a win for Beji Caid Essebsi.
- Revisiting Aceh, 10 years after tsunami02:44
- Who won the The Apprentice final?01:47
- The secretive state of Turkmenistan 02:29
- When weather forecasts go wrong05:19
- Tremors endanger Michelangelo's David01:22
- Elton and David's wedding menu01:20
- Testing out a hoverboard01:59
- Jane Bown on her 'visual' approach03:08
UK & Local News
Full coverage of the Commons, including the local government finance settlement.
Find a representative
News and analysis in 27 languages
Languages continued (2 of 4)
Languages continued (3 of 4)
Languages continued (4 of 4)
- Elton and David's social media marriage01:50
- Now and then: Boxing Day tsunami region01:28
- The acting career of Billie Whitelaw 02:26
- Appeal for peace after NY police shootings00:32
- Knife attacker is shot dead in France01:05
- More support for ex-forces prisoners02:15
- US reviews adding NK to terror list01:56
- Strictly 2014 winner is crowned02:06
His pickled heart has provided scientists with few answers
BBC reporter meets Indonesian tsunami survivor 10 years on
How Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett wrote a book
Who, and what, went viral in 2014?
Meet the temporary Christmas posties
Tim Burton on the art fraud that shocked America
The hard side of soft power in China's Confucius institutes
Interactive video remembering the InterCity 125
- New York gunman told public 'watch what I'm going to do'
- Sheffield double shooting leaves man dead
- Bangor burglary: Grieving mother's laptop returned
- NHS DNA scheme to fight cancer and genetic diseases
- France Dijon: Driver targets city pedestrians
- Gadget insurance complaints to Ombudsman jump
- The Apprentice: Mark Wright is Lord Sugar's new partner
- Actress Billie Whitelaw dies aged 82
- Why do mornings still get darker after the winter solstice?
- Newspaper headlines: DNA revolution, and 'the great light switch-off'
Last Updated at 01:25 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7742.08||Up||4.42||0.06%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
Can LEDs change the way we light up the world?