Afghan security forces battle insurgents in the centre of Kabul, after an attack claimed by the Taliban, who told the BBC they were targeting "CIA trainers".
- In Pictures: Taliban attack
- Who are the Taliban?
- Afghan army takes fight to Taliban
- Afghanistan country profile
- Toronto mayor: 'I don't use crack'00:30
- US road bridge falls into river01:47
- Stockholm cars and schools targeted02:17
- Huge fire consumes Rio fuel depot00:32
- Uganda raids over Museveni 'plot'02:17
- Iran election campaign under way01:49
- Chinese farmer creates 'bionic arms'02:19
- Second jewel theft at Cannes festival01:27
- Cockroaches evolve to beat traps01:48
Other Top Stories
The office of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona, improperly targeted Hispanics in patrols for undocumented immigrants, a judge finds.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has denied allegations from a major Canadian newspaper he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine.
Reinforcements of specially trained police are being sent to Stockholm after five nights of unprecedented rioting in the capital's suburbs.
- The book clubs that find bestsellers03:22
- Africa Beats: Afrikaans rapper Jaak04:09
- First halal food fair for Sarajevo01:53
- One-minute World News01:05
- The Queen and her passion for horses03:34
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
- Openly gay US Boy Scouts allowed01:21
The mortuary that symbolises Egypt's post-revolutionary chaos
The 'safety belt' for the walking texter
Will Nawaz Sharif walk the military tightrope in Pakistan?
Bonjour, mes amis antiques, let's parler Franglais
The UN's illusion of protection in eastern DR Congo
A selection of the best news photographs from around the world this week.
Iran's voters have little choice as conservatives dominate
Could Guantanamo's Yemenis soon be released?
- MI5 'approached Woolwich suspect'
- Online appeal unearths old web page
- 10 things we didn't know last week
- Arizona sheriff 'profiled' Hispanics
- Gunmen kill 12 in Baghdad brothel
- Dancer 'lied' in Berlusconi sex case
- US bridge collapse 'caused by lorry'
- Afghan Taliban attack central Kabul
- Rare Superman comic 'found in wall'
- Tiger attack wildlife worker dies
Marc Cieslak looks at the watches which are capable of doing more than just telling the time