Afghan security forces battle insurgents in the centre of Kabul, after an attack claimed by the Taliban, who told the BBC they were targeting "CIA trainers".
- In Pictures: Taliban attack
- Who are the Taliban?
- Afghan army takes fight to Taliban
- Afghanistan country profile
The collapse of a road bridge over a river in the north-west US state of Washington was caused by an oversized lorry's crash, say officials.
People with higher IQs are faster at detecting small moving objects but slower at noticing larger background ones, say US researchers.
- US road bridge falls into river01:47
- Stockholm cars and schools targeted02:17
- Huge fire consumes Rio fuel depot00:32
- Uganda raids over Museveni 'plot'02:17
- Iran election campaign under way01:49
- Chinese farmer creates 'bionic arms'02:19
- Second jewel theft at Cannes festival01:27
- Cockroaches evolve to beat traps01:48
Other Top Stories
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has denied allegations from a major Canadian newspaper he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine.
Reinforcements of specially trained police are being sent to Stockholm after five nights of unprecedented rioting in the capital's suburbs.
A dancer alleged to have had paid sex as a minor with Italy's ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi tells a court she lied to investigators in 2010.
- The book clubs that find bestsellers03:22
- Africa Beats: Afrikaans rapper Jaak04:09
- First halal food fair for Sarajevo01:53
- One-minute World News01:05
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
- King wins first female Gershwin prize01:42
- Openly gay US Boy Scouts allowed01:21
- Iron Man 3 is a superhero in China01:48
Why are so many Yemenis still held in Guantanamo?
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Obama used the concept, so did a few others in history
Fresh tussle over legacy of Guatemala's civil war
Iraq appears to be slipping back into mire of sectarian killings
The search for continental unity, 50 years on
How German football reinvented itself BBC Sport
- US road bridge falls into river
- Dancer 'lied' in Berlusconi sex case
- Extra police heading for Stockholm
- Explosion in central Kabul
- Higher IQ link to good concentration
- Rare Superman comic 'found in wall'
- Dog years: The calculator
- RAF jets scrambled after incident
- Pressure mounts on Toronto mayor
- Online appeal unearths old web page
Marc Cieslak looks at the watches which are capable of doing more than just telling the time