David Cameron insists the UK will not pay £1.7bn demanded by the EU - but Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso says the bill should not have come as a surprise.
- Why is UK being asked for more cash?
- Hewitt: UK in EU budget row
- Peston: Sex, drugs and the EU budget
Asda, the UK's second largest retailer, is facing a mass legal action over equal pay by women who work in their stores.
Vladimir Putin says for the first time that Russia helped Ukraine's ex-President Viktor Yanukovych to flee after he was ousted in February.
A suspected jihadist car bomb attack kills at least 25 Egyptian soldiers in Sinai, Egyptian officials say, in one of deadliest incidents there.
- Speed racing on city ring-road 01:32
- Gorilla gets 'Bake Off' birthday cake00:56
- Police spy 'was paid to love me'03:28
- Brand quizzed on economic plans02:40
- Phones off to mark Jewish Sabbath02:34
- The Queen sends her first tweet 02:04
- Scientists create real hoverboard01:11
- 'Religion made me a better player'03:08
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday's business from the Strasbourg plenary session.
Find a representative
- Man starts fire at petrol station01:20
- Proton beam therapy: Ashya 'tries to walk'01:50
- US air strike 'hits IS command'01:32
- CCTV of Ottawa shooting suspect03:55
- Ebola: Scenes of horror in Liberia02:24
- Standing ovation for Canadian hero02:30
- Mums on 'diabolical' holiday fines01:10
- Crossbow bolt shot dog recovering00:55
My agony at discovering father of my child was undercover cop
The day UFOs stopped play - and a crowd of 10,000 gasped
Why do professional sportsmen try trick shots?
Grayson Perry captures the state of the nation
Why is Florida angry with Breaking Bad?
Mosul diary: Inside the city ruled by Islamic State
Could you switch off all your devices for 25 hours?
A journey across a Ukraine wracked by conflict
Gambling board suspended for Vegas trip - and more tales
Why is the UK being asked for more money?
- Heena Solanki used acid to kill herself and her two children
- Emma Siswick murder: Jonathan Sutton jailed for at least 28 years
- Shabbat UK: Digital detox call for the Sabbath
- Teenager stabbed on bus in Sutton
- Suspect in beheading of US journalist Daniel Pearl released
- Glasgow SNP councillor suspended over alleged homophobic incident
- Berkhamsted 'penis' map mocked on Facebook Last updated 14th August 2014
- Alvin Stardust, glam rock singer, dies aged 72
- Lost passport scuppers Florida holiday
- Why is the UK being asked for more money?
Last Updated at 14:02 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7375.73||Up||7.79||0.11%|