A record five million UK workers are now in low-paid jobs, a rise of 250,000 in the last year, research from a left-of-centre think tank suggests.
- Marchers call for better public pay
- One-fifth of London jobs low-paid
- 'National scandal' of working poor
A person has been detained by police after an incident in central Edinburgh which led to part of the city being cordoned off.
Profit warnings by UK-listed firms rise to the their highest summer level for six years, according to forecaster EY.
A fourth man from Portsmouth who went to fight in Syria for Islamic State is believed to have been killed.
- Paris's Picasso museum reopens02:37
- WWI soldier's bedroom frozen in time02:07
- Russia turns back clocks for good01:10
- Using Facebook to get a pay rise02:14
- Learning how to leap around a city02:44
- Does rugby union have a doping issue?02:18
- Speed racing on city ring-road 01:32
- The Queen sends her first tweet 02:04
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday's business from the Strasbourg plenary session.
Find a representative
- Record skydive from the edge of space01:29
- Gun battles on streets of Lebanon01:10
- Muslim soldiers' Afghan challenge02:34
- What was killed UK man doing in Syria?05:57
- Roads become rivers: Floods shock Athens01:20
- US school shooting opens wounds01:00
- Man starts fire at petrol station01:20
- Sargy Mann: 25 years of painting blind04:34
Why the idea of a single Muslim state keeps coming back
What's been lurking beneath the waves in the Baltic Sea?
French soldier's bedroom untouched for 100 years
Why the padlocks of Paris are a poor symbol of romance
Voice of the campaign to save Madagascar's forests
Why is the UK being asked for more money?
- Person detained by police after Edinburgh incident
- Low-paid Britons now number five million, think tank concludes
- What's the appeal of a caliphate?
- John Cantlie: Islamic State hostage in fresh video
- The headlines: Merkel 'kills the deal' and the GP cash bonanza
- Russian clocks go back for last time
- South Korea residents try to stop balloon launch to North
- Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71
- Iran's hanging of Reyhaneh Jabbari condemned
- One-fifth of jobs in London are low-paid, report says Last updated 14th August 2014
Last Updated at 20:58 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7380.67||Up||12.73||0.17%|