The government made £180m less from the sale of Royal Mail than it could have, and the process of privatising state assets should be reformed, says a new report.
Councils in England are to learn later how much money they will have to spend on local services such as waste collection and road maintenance in 2015-16.
Cuban President Raul Castro urges the US to end its trade embargo as he and President Barack Obama agree to improve relations.
Opportunities to prosecute Jimmy Savile and a former mayor of Scarborough for child sex abuse were missed due to police "organisational failure".
- Sony 'forced' to bow to film hackers02:02
- 'Buddhist bug' art explores difference02:36
- Glitter woes for Royal Mail sorters01:28
- Talking Movies' top 10 films of 201404:02
- Newsnight's take on big themes of 201503:54
- Festive park shuts permanently01:53
- Mass tango for Pope's birthday01:00
- 'Bubbly' Santa drives festive cheer01:00
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday in the Commons, including PMQs and the Al-Sweady statement
Find a representative
- 'Shock and disbelief' in Peshawar02:57
- Reactions to thaw in Cuba-US ties01:30
- US navy develops 'fish' robot00:40
- Inside Pakistan attack school 01:55
- Cameron brands rival 'a waste of space'02:09
- Woman bishop: 'I've been blessed'02:08
- New footage shows Sydney cafe raid01:01
- Neighbour's guilt over Crolla attack
The 49 children who made it to an unlikely nativity
The buildings that would once have been impossible
A handy self-portrait device or a narcissistic vanity tool?
The ordinary Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine
The boats of guns floating around the Indian Ocean
Those who plan to spend the day working rather than celebrating
Making a Christmas special 'special'
Brit boozer goes dark in Los Angeles
- Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats
- Royal Mail privatisation £180m underpriced, review says
- Nigerian soldiers given death penalty for mutiny
- London overtaking Oxbridge domination
- Why some people choose to work on Christmas Day
- UK using less energy despite growing economy, report finds
- Floating arsenals: The boats full of guns for hire against pirates
- Councils braced for funding cuts
- The buildings that would have been impossible
- Cuba's Raul Castro urges US to lift trade embargo
Last Updated at 02:10 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7581.98||Up||26.79||0.35%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
What's the hidden code that makes modern life possible?