The Islamic State fighter known as "Jihadi John" was cold and a loner who set himself apart from others, says an IS defector who met him in Syria.
Plans to generate electricity from the world's first series of tidal lagoons are unveiled in the UK, with sites proposed in Wales, Somerset and Cumbria.
The search for missing 16-year-old Becky Watts is set to resume in Bristol with police helicopters and specialist dog teams.
A man is arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a motorist is dragged along a motorway by his own stolen van and seriously injured.
- Fifty years of The Sound of Music02:21
- Ageism in acting world 'won't change'05:32
- Carnival feeling for St David's Day00:30
- How do you bake a 450-metre cake?01:58
- Museum displays Iraq's rich history02:11
- The student who lived on bugs for a month
- Uruguay's pauper president steps down03:05
- World record set at ploughing event01:31
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Thursday's proceedings, including a statement on sexual abuse.
Find a representative
News and analysis in 27 languages
Languages continued (2 of 4)
Languages continued (3 of 4)
Languages continued (4 of 4)
- CCTV shows UK Syria girls in Istanbul02:13
- Living underground in the outback02:47
- IS defector: 'Jihadi John a loner'02:27
- Astronauts brave third spacewalk in week00:43
- S6 Edge: First look at Samsung phone03:17
- The monk who ordains trees03:55
- Tackling the dangers of drug driving01:47
- Syria crisis 'spurred terror surge' 01:54
Why are people getting better at intelligence tests?
The hybrid animal causing havoc in the Grand Canyon
Would it be realistic to renationalise the railways?
Fergal Keane on the relationship between love and politics
The world's worst interview - with one of the loneliest men on Earth
Could students' video messages avert all-out war?
How an ancient art form is saving troubled lives
- Man dragged along M602 in Salford by own stolen van
- World's first lagoon power plants unveiled in UK
- US police shoot homeless man dead in Los Angeles
- 'Jihadi John': Mohammed Emwazi was a cold loner, ex-IS fighter says
- North Korea fires missiles as US-S Korea drills begin
- Becky Watts search: Specialist teams join officers
- UK defence spending 'concerns' US Army chief Raymond Odierno
- Kristin Scott Thomas: Film actresses face age 'disaster'
- How do you solve a problem like the 'Beefalo'?
- Anger over new powers for Turkish authorities online
Last Updated at 01:18 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7999.58||Up||16.84||0.21%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
St David was well known for his miraculous miracles and missionary work, but did he do enough to be considered as Britain’s true patron saint?