The US and five Arab nations launch a campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, the Pentagon says.
- Are Syria air strikes legal?
- Analysis: Air power not enough
- What is Islamic State?
- Battle for Iraq and Syria in maps
- Where key countries stand
- IS to US: Send your troops to fight
Live updates as the Pentagon confirms that the US and "partner nations" have begun air strikes against Islamic State targets in Syria.
Other Top Stories
A second video has been released showing British journalist John Cantlie, who is being held hostage by Islamic State (IS) militants.
Labour leader Ed Miliband will set out a 10-year plan to make Britain a "world class country" in his final conference speech before the general election.
- WW1 bus retraces Ypres battle routes02:57
- Teenagers shy to talk about cancer02:16
- Ernie the turtle moving back home01:41
- Ricky Tomlinson: United We Stand02:16
- Paralysed father 'walks' at wedding 02:35
- 'Rail staff need better information'02:49
- Crossrail work reveals Brunel rail structures02:07
- Tippers left cows buried in rubbish01:47
UK & Local News
Tory MP John Baron asks an urgent question on the government's response to Islamic State.
Find a representative
- Fleeing Syria with a day-old baby02:43
- Murray: 'I don't regret giving an opinion'00:48
- White House intruder 'had ammo'02:10
- Day and night search for missing Alice02:37
- Global push to tackle climate change01:14
- 'Net cast wide' in Thai killer hunt01:17
- Rockefellers to divest fossil fuels02:13
- Ed Balls sorry for bloodied reporter01:39
Why is the Birmingham accent so difficult to mimic?
The 900-year-story behind the creation of a UK parliament
How lasers have revealed an ancient city beneath the forest
Are trailer videos on social media spoiling theatre?
Has Tesco passed its sell-by date, asks Richard Anderson
White House break-in adds to Secret Service woes
- Two dead after being hit by train
- Light aircraft collide in mid-air
- Andy Murray regrets tweet fallout
- Tiger 'kills boy' at Delhi zoo
- Barclays hit by record £38m fine
- How lasers revealed a lost city in the jungle
- Sam Pepper 'has gone too far this time'
- US strikes Islamic State in Syria
- Street sweeper wins £4.5m jackpot
- Second video of UK hostage released
Last Updated at 06:18 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7441.83||Down||-23.31||-0.31%|