There could be about 10-13,000 victims of slavery in the UK, far more than previous estimates, analysis for the Home Office suggests.
- Rise in UK trafficking and slavery
- Nearly 36m people 'live as slaves'
- More people 'trafficked for labour'
- Anti-slavery powers in Queen's Speech
NHS England says letters sent out to local health bosses suggesting the funding of patients in clinical drug trials might be cut were "incorrect".
Two months of US-led air strikes have failed to weaken Islamic State militants, Syria's foreign minister says, urging Turkey to tighten border controls.
Former PM Gordon Brown says politicians in Scotland must stop obsessing about constitutional change and focus on improving people's lives.
- New Star Wars trailer causes a storm01:05
- #PutOutYourBats tributes to Hughes01:10
- The plight of the UK's modern day slaves01:38
- Building the Olympic Stadium's new roof02:55
- The people who run with their dogs04:04
- Campbell's Ebola campaign shop01:32
- City gives away last Christmas tree01:42
- Grey squirrels 'should be culled'03:06
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Thursday in the Commons, including a statement on the Smith Commission.
Find a representative
- Clutha helicopter crash: One year on02:42
- Father-in-law 'forged Ramsay's signature'02:18
- Concorde made out of matchsticks01:39
- Does Scottish politics need a 'reset'?01:26
- Paul Kohler: 'I want to meet attackers'
- Dozens die in Nigeria mosque attack01:12
- Cameron ad-libs while alarm sounds01:00
- 'Black Friday' chaos filmed across UK02:09
What happened to England's lost stately homes?
Beer is less likely to slosh than coffee, and other nuggets
The grain that tells you a lot about Russia's state of mind
The best reads you need to catch up on
The young Omani who became a pre-war fusion music hit
The European country voting to limit immigration
Remembering the Clutha helicopter crash
The foodies making buildings out of gingerbread
Best news images from around the world in the past seven days
The teenagers shot in Pakistan now studying in Wales
- Mickey Rourke wins exhibition boxing match
- Black Friday: Police called as sales turn ugly
- Slavery levels in UK 'higher than thought'
- What happened to England's abandoned mansions?
- Islamic State: Air strikes 'fail to weaken' Islamists
- Swiss 'Ecopop' referendum calls for big immigration cut
- Lord Tebbit suggests new EU migrant 'test'
- Newspaper headlines: Cameron's 'retreat', 'Black Friday' madness and lobster wars
- Moldova election: Will voters choose EU or Putin?
- NHS 'U-turn' over drug trial money
Last Updated at 03:14 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7915.44||Up||9.48||0.12%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
What could babies be missing out on in the race to get them walking?