A record five million UK workers are now in low-paid jobs, a rise of 250,000 in the last year, research from a left-of-centre think tank suggests.
- Marchers call for better public pay
- One-fifth of London jobs low-paid
- 'National scandal' of working poor
An area in central Edinburgh has been cordoned off as police officers deal with an incident.
Profit warnings by UK-listed firms rise to the their highest summer level for six years, according to forecaster EY.
A fourth man from Portsmouth who went to fight in Syria for Islamic State is believed to have been killed.
- Paris's Picasso museum reopens02:37
- WWI soldier's bedroom frozen in time02:07
- Russia turns back clocks for good01:10
- Using Facebook to get a pay rise02:14
- Learning how to leap around a city02:44
- Does rugby union have a doping issue?02:18
- Speed racing on city ring-road 01:32
- The Queen sends her first tweet 02:04
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday's business from the Strasbourg plenary session.
Find a representative
- Record skydive from the edge of space01:29
- Gun battles on streets of Lebanon01:10
- Muslim soldiers' Afghan challenge02:34
- What was killed UK man doing in Syria?05:57
- Roads become rivers: Floods shock Athens01:20
- US school shooting opens wounds01:00
- Man starts fire at petrol station01:20
- Sargy Mann: 25 years of painting blind04:34
England's lost football grounds - part II
Have Jedis created a new 'religion'?
How to keep the tax man at bay when you pass it on
The hardship posting which may have inspired an English idiom
Paul Merton advises how to make it as a comedian
Does a good cause justify little girls using bad language?
Picasso Museum in Paris reopens after a five-year renovation
Unravelling the flocking habits of starlings
Walk on the Wild Side's bass line cost £17, and more nuggets
The week's big numbers visualised
Why is the UK being asked for more money?
- Police in central Edinburgh incident
- Low-paid Britons now number five million, think tank concludes
- Russian clocks go back for last time
- Have Jedis created a new 'religion'?
- UK profit warnings at highest level since 2008
- Johann Lamont resignation: Salmond blames Miliband for Labour 'meltdown'
- Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71
- Fourth Portsmouth man Mehdi Hassan killed in Syria
- Iran's hanging of Reyhaneh Jabbari condemned
- President Sisi says jihadists threaten Egypt's existence
Last Updated at 20:19 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7380.67||Up||12.73||0.17%|