President Francois Hollande signs into law a controversial bill making France the ninth in Europe, and 14th globally, to legalise gay marriage.
About 60 people have been injured, five critically, after a head-on, rush-hour collision between two commuter trains near New York, officials say.
- City lit up after 20 years in dark02:26
- Bus rescuing gay activists attacked01:15
- Shock at finding alligator on porch00:34
- Stars dazzle at Bling Ring premiere01:44
- 'To hell and back, several times' in Iraq02:30
- Syria conflict: Obama under pressure02:47
- Can this army take on Boko Haram?01:49
- One Direction announce world tour01:11
Other Top Stories
Afghan MPs are to debate a law to prevent violence against women, amid a fierce argument between leading Afghan women over tactics.
The prospect of a deep sea "gold rush" opening a controversial new frontier for mining on the ocean floor has moved a step closer.
- Would-be robber struck by bus01:00
- Need to Know: Iran's leadership02:20
- Inside factory making humanoid robots04:02
- One-minute World News00:58
- Turkey's 'Italian' makeover underway02:46
- Dozens injured as US train derails00:45
- Eurovision: Who's voting for whom?03:00
- Canada's Tsunami debris dilemma02:31
How US version of The Office reflected on America - and UK
What happened when an Italian mafia boss handed himself in
Argentina grapples with legacy of late military leader Videla
What happened to the acts that hit the pinnacle of Europop?
What do ex-convicts books reveal about life inside?
The propaganda power of posters
The country with the most cat owners - and other nuggets
- Deep sea 'gold rush' moves closer
- China urges its tourists to behave
- Deadly floods sweep southern China
- The American Office clocks out
- Hollande to sign gay marriage bill
- Murder in Mayfield
- Dozens injured in US train crash
- US criticises Russia over missiles
- Mafia boss gives himself up
- British child dies at Egyptian hotel
A profile of Romario - Brazilian football's bad-boy who became an outspoken politician
Kate Russell looks at a site which celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission