Afghan security forces battle insurgents in the centre of Kabul, after an attack claimed by the Taliban, who told the BBC they were targeting "CIA trainers".
- In Pictures: Taliban attack
- Who are the Taliban?
- Afghan army takes fight to Taliban
- Afghanistan country profile
The collapse of a road bridge over a river in the north-west US state of Washington was caused by an oversized lorry's crash, say officials.
People with higher IQs are faster at detecting small moving objects but slower at noticing larger background ones, say US researchers.
- US road bridge falls into river01:47
- Obama heckled over Guantanamo Bay01:49
- Stockholm cars and schools targeted01:48
- Huge fire consumes Rio fuel depot00:32
- Iran election campaign under way01:49
- Second jewel theft at Cannes festival01:27
- UN brigade to 'enforce peace' in Congo02:30
- Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb00:51
Other Top Stories
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has denied allegations from a major Canadian newspaper he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine.
Reinforcements of specially trained police are being sent to Stockholm after five nights of unprecedented rioting in the capital's suburbs.
A dancer alleged to have had paid sex as a minor with Italy's ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi tells a court she lied to investigators in 2010.
- Chinese farmer creates 'bionic arms'02:19
- Cockroaches evolve to beat traps01:48
- The book clubs that find bestsellers03:22
- One-minute World News01:05
- Africa Beats: Afrikaans rapper Jaak04:09
- Journey into an Icelandic volcano03:37
- Openly gay US Boy Scouts allowed01:21
- First halal food fair for Sarajevo01:53
Why are so many Yemenis still held in Guantanamo?
Nightly riots highlight Sweden's inequalities
Obama brings drone programme out of the shadows - but just a bit
Twenty-four hours of news photos from around the world
Obama used the concept, so did a few others in history
Muslim leaders take trip to Nazi concentration camps
Fresh tussle over legacy of Guatemala's civil war
Iraq appears to be slipping back into mire of sectarian killings
The search for continental unity, 50 years on
The English phrases readers love to hear spoken by the French
How German football reinvented itself BBC Sport
- US road bridge falls into river
- Higher IQ link to good concentration
- Dancer 'lied' in Berlusconi sex case
- Extra police heading for Stockholm
- Explosion in central Kabul
- Dog years: The calculator
- Online appeal unearths old web page
- RAF jets scrambled after incident
- Pressure mounts on Toronto mayor
- The uneven charm of Rome's cobblestones
Marc Cieslak looks at the watches which are capable of doing more than just telling the time