Islamic State jihadists demanded a $132m (£80m) ransom for the release of US journalist James Foley, his employer GlobalPost says.
Veteran human rights campaigner Helen Bamber, who was among the first to relieve Nazi concentration camp victims in 1945, dies.
Undercover police officers accused of starting relationships with women will not face sex offence charges but could face misconduct proceedings.
- Bombers in historic Lincoln flypast 01:44
- Hanoi gardens' blooming trade01:38
- Man named world's oldest, aged 11101:07
- 'Our friend has given us a son'02:19
- Meet S Korea's secret weapon02:38
- Hood and jazz shoes: Red Riding retold02:44
- Anastacia talks big and little things03:20
- Young Doctor Who fans meet Capaldi02:04
UK & Local News
Israel's response to rocket attacks must be "proportionate", insists a minister.
Find a representative
- Ebola survivor 'thrilled to be alive'03:05
- Police tackle wrong-way driver head on00:45
- The MI5 hunt for journalist's killer02:06
- Mystery of closed Moscow McDonald's02:34
- Mass rally as Hamas leaders buried01:14
- Search through mud for Japan survivors01:20
- Gulnara treated 'worse than dog' 02:11
- Iraqi baby girl named 'refugee'03:14
Why aren't there full criminal checks on would-be parents?
Tilbury Docks container stowaway tells BBC he feared for his life
Why Wales will make its own mind up on independence
The man who helped bring yoga to the West
What makes Bedford the most generous town in UK?
Hope fades for Syrians one year after chemical attack
What really happens before a police officer fires their gun?
The self-made businessman who became Ireland's eighth PM
Shopkeepers in Rome deal with reality of endless economic crisis
What happens when Britons fighting in Syria return home?
- Comedian reads The Sun while driving
- Ten days left to hoover up a cleaner
- Foley killers 'wanted $132m ransom'
- Rights campaigner Helen Bamber dies
- Crash map: UK road deaths
- Spy camera cash machine gang jailed
- Hanged India girls 'rape' in doubt
- UK's 'most generous town' revealed
- BBC Sir Cliff coverage 'appropriate'
- Russia widens McDonald's food probe
Last Updated at 15:58 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7362.85||Up||47.84||0.65%|