Target times for ambulances to reach some seriously ill patients in England could be lengthened, a document leaked to the BBC shows.
Photographer Jane Bown, known for her portraits of the Queen, the Beatles and Samuel Beckett among many others, dies aged 89.
Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish convert their civil partnership to a marriage - with the musician documenting the day on the Instagram website.
The independent panel set up to support the planned public inquiry into historical child abuse could be disbanded, the BBC understands.
- What is the winter solstice?01:36
- Jerusalem Archbishop reflects02:51
- The secretive state of Turkmenistan 02:29
- When Freeman met Martin Luther King01:46
- Jane Bown on her 'visual' approach03:08
- Elton and David's wedding menu01:20
- Cyclist survives fall under 14-wheel lorry00:21
- Gay Asian support group created01:57
UK & Local News
Full coverage of the Commons, including the local government finance settlement.
Find a representative
News and analysis in 27 languages
Languages continued (2 of 4)
Languages continued (3 of 4)
Languages continued (4 of 4)
- Tunisia voters proud to cast ballots01:14
- New York police officers shot dead02:14
- More support for ex-forces prisoners02:15
- Strictly 2014 winner is crowned02:06
- Pakistan 'in mourning and on edge'01:58
- Barzani praises forces on Sinjar01:49
- Castro delivers defiant speech 02:17
- Knife attacker is shot dead in France01:05
The family with 34 children - and they're adding two more
The strange things passengers leave on the Tube
How German markets captured the UK's imagination
Why mornings will keep getting darker after 21 December
Grief and determination after Taliban school massacre
Safe surgery with a DIY essential
The best reads you need to catch up on
The NSA had a staff 'Clown Club' and more nuggets from the news
What Cuba's new pact with the US means for everyday life
- Ben Haenow beats Mark Ronson to claim Christmas number one
- Bangor burglary: Grieving mum's distress after daughter's room is ransacked
- Why do mornings still get darker after the winter solstice?
- Small Data: What are the chances of snow at Christmas?
- Sir Elton John and David Furnish marry
- Sony hack: US mulls putting N Korea back on terror list
- Liam Williams sorry for 'blacked-up' fancy dress photo
- Observer newspaper photographer Jane Bown dies aged 89
- Strictly Come Dancing: Final draws 11.5 million viewers
- Ambulance targets: Plan for longer times in England revealed
Last Updated at 15:48 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7737.66||Up||29.21||0.38%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
How WW1 changed the way we bury our war dead