Pressures in A&E units in England have hit record levels while Wales and Northern Ireland also perform poorly, figures show.
- A&E tracker: How is your A&E coping?
- Why are hospitals under so much pressure?
- Five ways NHS is coping with winter
An off-duty police officer dies and two other men are injured in an assault in Liverpool city centre.
Migrants made about 100 attempts a day to get into the UK illegally this summer, official figures suggest.
Former Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish has been describing the "mayhem" at Hillsborough during the disaster, when he was the club's manager.
- Can birds hear a tornado coming?
- Spectacular spire climb filmed02:16
- Girl hears Christmas for first time02:03
- How WW1 led to rise in Spiritualism
- Escape games boom in Budapest03:28
- Shopping online from a country cottage02:34
- New record depth for deepest fish02:17
- Testing Skype's real-time translator02:48
UK & Local News
Full coverage of the Commons, including the local government finance settlement.
Find a representative
News and analysis in 27 languages
Languages continued (2 of 4)
Languages continued (3 of 4)
Languages continued (4 of 4)
- 'Sextortion': Online blackmail of men02:09
- Airbase at heart of battle for Anbar01:54
- DIY electronics making home 'smart'02:32
- Top of the 2014 political pops01:36
- Life as a teenager with a parent in prison01:45
- Is UK's oil industry really in crisis?
- Who was Mandy Rice-Davies?01:33
- 'Easy to hack companies like Sony'01:43
Find the country that matches your drinking habits
Inside Iraq air base as Islamic State closes in
How is your local A&E coping with winter pressures?
Do you remember who said what from 2014?
The bus that deals with drunk people on the worst days of the year
The tradition that only got going in the 1960s
Did Vladimir Putin think high oil prices would last for ever?
Family photo reveals 2014's hot gadget in use in 1920s
Siberian bailiffs seize cats over tax arrears - and more curious tales
- Off-duty PC Neil Doyle 'may have been recognised'
- Instagram deletes millions of accounts in spam purge
- Apple 'deeply offended' by BBC investigation
- Booze calculator: What's your drinking nationality?
- Mohammed Rafiq, 80, jailed for acid revenge attack on teen ex
- Profumo affair's Mandy Rice-Davies dies at the age of 70
- Hillsborough Inquests: Kenny Dalglish recalls 'mayhem' during disaster
- Cairns deaths: Eight children found in Australian home
- A&E has 'worst week' in England
- NHS Winter 2014-15: Weekly A&E tracker
Last Updated at 11:23 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7734.98||Up||26.53||0.34%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
Why didn't Christianity die out in the 1st Century?