Detailed plans to kidnap a prison officer in a bid to escape from prison on the Isle of Wight were found in the cell of a Muslim inmate, the BBC can reveal.
A man has been detained by police after an incident in Edinburgh which led to part of the city centre being cordoned off.
A record five million UK workers are now in low-paid jobs, a rise of 250,000 in the last year, research from a left-of-centre think tank suggests.
Profit warnings by UK-listed firms rise to the their highest summer level for six years, according to forecaster EY.
- Paris's Picasso museum reopens02:37
- WWI soldier's bedroom frozen in time02:07
- Russia turns back clocks for good01:10
- Using Facebook to get a pay rise02:14
- Learning how to leap around a city02:44
- Does rugby union have a doping issue?02:18
- Speed racing on city ring-road 01:32
- The Queen sends her first tweet 02:04
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday's business from the Strasbourg plenary session.
Find a representative
- Record skydive from the edge of space01:29
- Gun battles on streets of Lebanon01:10
- Muslim soldiers' Afghan challenge02:34
- What was killed UK man doing in Syria?05:57
- Mussolini bunker opens to public01:52
- Roads become rivers: Floods shock Athens01:20
- US school shooting opens wounds01:00
- Sargy Mann: 25 years of painting blind04:34
Online exhibition celebrates the photography of cats
Why the padlocks of Paris are a poor symbol of romance
Things you may not have known about being amused
What's been lurking beneath the waves in the Baltic Sea?
Why the idea of a single Muslim state keeps coming back
The best features you may have missed this week
Readers' photographs on the theme of "steps"
French soldier's bedroom untouched for 100 years
Voice of the campaign to save Madagascar's forests
Americans debate skin colour, and other trends of the week
Why is the UK being asked for more money?
- Man detained by police after Edinburgh incident
- Muslim inmate at IoW Prison planned escape with hostage
- What's the appeal of a caliphate?
- Why is the UK being asked for more money?
- Weather warning over heavy rain
- Russian clocks go back for last time
- Ebola outbreak: US nurse criticises quarantine treatment
- A Point of View: Should love be symbolised by a lock?
- Islamic State: Militants 'pushed back' in Iraq
- Johann Lamont resignation: Salmond blames Miliband for Labour 'meltdown'
Last Updated at 01:07 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7380.67||Up||12.73||0.17%|