The start of the inquest into the Sydney cafe siege hears that hostage Katrina Dawson was killed by fragments of a police bullet or bullets.
- Gunman 'damaged and 'unstable'
- Could interviews taint siege inquest?
- How the Sydney siege unfolded
- Who were the victims?
Japan says it is investigating a purported new voice recording of hostage Kenji Goto, who is being held by Islamic State.
An earthquake with a magnitude of 3.8 has been recorded in the East Midlands, the US Geological Survey reports.
Scores of England's top private schools are expecting to be at the bottom of the secondary school league tables, following confusion over IGCSEs.
- Selma creators on Cumberbatch quote07:38
- Scotland's expanding space industry02:08
- Ebola vaccine trial: 'I've played my part'01:10
- Video diary: Search for a care home03:21
- What will news look like in 10 years?13:31
- How jet stream is bringing snow to UK00:55
- 'Zombie cat' spent days underground00:23
- New responder saves newborn baby01:52
UK & Local News
Find a representative
News and analysis in 27 languages
Languages continued (2 of 4)
Languages continued (3 of 4)
Languages continued (4 of 4)
- Warnings as snow hits parts of UK03:34
- Inside Tripoli's battle-ravaged airport01:13
- Star Wars toy sells for £18,00001:29
- Post-war blocks get listed status02:01
- Smart goggles for hi-tech bobbies02:12
- Devon's beavers saved from eviction02:01
- Ebola vaccine 'looks well tolerated'02:11
- City of snipers: BBC goes inside Benghazi03:17
Will the UK's iconic gas holders be missed?
Is China bringing Tibetan Buddhism in from the cold?
Use our calculator to find out the costs you may face
The art of 'maskirovka' - how Russia keeps enemies guessing
New app gives blind people help to see
What the contents of your fridge say about you
Meet Rae Morris, the pop star who wanted to be a waitress
The new banks you cannot speak to
Apps let parents spy on their kids
- Facebook reports strong profits, adding millions of users
- Sydney siege inquest: Police gunfire killed hostage Katrina Dawson
- Will the UK's gas holders be missed?
- IS hostages: Japan analyses new voice recording
- East Midlands tremor recorded at 3.8 in magnitude
- Tesco names 43 UK store closures
- How Russia outfoxes its enemies
- US Supreme Court delays executions amid drugs review
- League tables branded a 'nonsense' by private schools
- Afghan economy stagnates amid political deadlock
Last Updated at 23:13 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7889.53||Up||0.56||0.01%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
Would Churchill's depression stop him being PM today?