Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president who led the peaceful transition from white-only rule, has died aged 95, after a long illness.
Latest updates after the announcement of the death of former South African President Nelson Mandela at the age of 95.
- Full text: Obama tribute
- Key quotes from announcement of death
- 'Our nation has lost its greatest son'08:22
- The life of Nelson Mandela08:29
- Obama: 'Madiba transformed S Africa'02:47
- 'I remember when Mandela was freed'02:49
- De Klerk: Mandela 'a great unifier' 01:06
- Jackson: Mandela 'global force for good'01:40
- Nelson Mandela, in his own words08:28
- What is Nelson Mandela's legacy? 04:12
- 'Time for new hands': Twilight years02:35
- Nelson Mandela the philanthropist03:31
- Nelson Mandela's 27 prison years03:39
- How attitudes to Mandela changed03:10
- 'I met my hero, Mandela, behind bars'05:55
- Mandela 'way ahead of the curve'05:13
- 'How Mandela changed my life'05:28
Other Top Stories
Fast-food workers in several cities across the US stage a 24-hour strike in protest against low wages.
Dozens of Russian diplomats spent a fortune on luxury goods and holidays in a $1.5m benefits fraud spanning almost a decade, US prosecutors say.
Fergal Keane looks back at the life of one of the world's most celebrated statesmen
Vietnam in brutal, striking images
The secret double life of a gay neo-Nazi
Ford Mustang and the history of US muscle cars
Fears grow over plight of Pearl the pig
What would you ask a roomful of Nobel prizewinners?
20 tales from readers of being an only child
Kiev protests blamed on wintry weather - and more curious tales
A quest to become China's cupcake queen
John Simpson on the changing face of world's superpowers
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies
- Reaction to Nelson Mandela's death
- Wife 'live-tweets' husband's death
- Obituary: Nelson Mandela
- How photographs told the story of the Vietnam War
- Europe buffeted by violent storm
- US fast-food workers in strike
- World dementia cases 'set to treble'
- Two million stolen passwords online
- The secret double life of a gay neo-Nazi
Last Updated at 20:01 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7006.68||Down||-5.54||-0.08%|
The cult classic Jamaican crime film The Harder They Come, its reggae soundtrack - and its legacy