The White House confirms that a jihadist video showing the beheading of American journalist James Foley is authentic.
- 'A brave and tireless journalist'
- PM condemns journalist's beheading
- Syrian conflict 'uniquely dangerous'
- Extremists battle with social media
- Crowley: Video aimed at Muslims
Two out of nine members of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee voted to raise interest earlier this month, the first time in three years policymakers have done so.
A second person is arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over the death of man in a shipping container in Essex.
Ukrainian government and rebel forces both claim control of a small town after fierce fighting, as fighting claims 34 civilian lives in a day.
- Stand up comedy lessons for vicars02:27
- Heavy rain causes devastation in Japan01:27
- Orchestra continues despite Gaza crisis06:04
- CCTV shows tornado strike beach cafe00:39
- The sad lament of Syrian child brides04:12
- Friend pays tribute to reporter Foley04:16
- Up close: Mosul dam 'back in safe hands'01:13
- Life on two wheels: Rio and Nairobi02:48
UK & Local News
Israel's response to rocket attacks must be "proportionate", insists a minister.
Find a representative
- Flying a vintage WW2 German plane02:38
- Bush takes Ice Bucket Challenge 00:49
- Biker guilty of 'dangerous' ride01:19
- Iraq refugees in 'windswept dustbowl'02:44
- BBC moved on amid Ferguson protests 02:21
- Gags galore with Fringe joke winner02:53
- Container stowaways 'in state of shock'01:38
- Africa's elephants in net decline02:00
Why would relatives leave ashes in a funeral parlour for years?
The times people are deliberately kept waiting
Why hundreds of thousands of people have left Ireland
The online hit showing prejudice against dwarfism
How would N Ireland's Orangemen feel if Scotland left the union?
A doctor reports from the Ebola front line
The man who says he's responsible for a million kids
The young model among the 51 Marchioness disaster victims
How does education fit into the Scottish referendum debate?
- Foley 'barbaric murder' shocks West
- Big Brother doctor 'sacked unfairly'
- The ways people are deliberately kept waiting
- Police crash halts wrong-way driver
- The island that kids learn to leave
- Teenager raped woman in her 90s
- Sex with police officer 'flattering'
- Sri Lankan maid beheaded in Saudi
- Second arrest over Tilbury death
- Internet-hit near miss biker guilty
Last Updated at 12:31 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7315.06||Down||-25.09||-0.34%|