Cuban President Raul Castro urges the US to end its trade embargo after the two countries opened formal talks on restoring diplomatic relations.
Pakistani leader Nawaz Sharif vows to rid his country of terrorism after the Taliban killed 141 people, mostly children, at a Peshawar school.
Opportunities to prosecute Jimmy Savile and a former mayor of Scarborough for child sex abuse were missed due to police "organisational failure".
UK & Local News
Full coverage of Wednesday in the Commons, including PMQs and the Al-Sweady statement
Find a representative
- 'Shock and disbelief' in Peshawar02:57
- Reactions to thaw in Cuba-US ties01:30
- US navy develops 'fish' robot00:40
- Inside Pakistan attack school 01:55
- Cameron brands rival 'a waste of space'02:09
- Woman bishop: 'I've been blessed'02:08
- New footage shows Sydney cafe raid01:01
- Neighbour's guilt over Crolla attack
The buildings that would once have been impossible
The 49 children who made it to an unlikely nativity
The ordinary Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine
The boats of guns floating around the Indian Ocean
A handy self-portrait device or a narcissistic vanity tool?
Those who plan to spend the day working rather than celebrating
Brit boozer goes dark in Los Angeles
Is it legal to park at a right angle to the kerb?
Making a Christmas special 'special'
- Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats
- Nigerian soldiers given death penalty for mutiny
- Councils braced for funding cuts
- Cuba's Raul Castro urges US to lift trade embargo
- Pakistan school attack: PM Sharif vows to end 'terrorism'
- Why some people choose to work on Christmas Day
- Pennsylvania shootings: Six dead, gunman on the run
- Sydney siege: Three dead after commandos storm cafe
- Floating arsenals: The boats full of guns for hire against pirates
- BT in talks to buy EE for £12.5bn
Last Updated at 22:55 ET
|Market index||Current value||Trend||Variation||% variation|
|BBC Global 30||7588.90||Up||33.71||0.45%|
Elsewhere in the BBC
Elsewhere on the BBC
What's the hidden code that makes modern life possible?