- Principal Members
- Jeff Beck
- Eric Clapton
- Chris Dreja
- Jim McCarty
- Jimmy Page
- Keith Relf
- Paul Samwell-Smith
The Yardbirds were an English rock band, noted for starting the careers of three of rock's most famous guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page. A blues-based band whose sound evolved into experimental pop rock, they had a string of hits including 'For Your Love', 'Over, Under, Sideways, Down' and 'Heart Full Of Soul'. They were a crucial link between British R&B and psychedelia; they set the framework for heavy metal explored further by Led Zeppelin and their guitarists were extremely influential in music.
In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked The Yardbirds #89 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1962 Formed as The Metropolitan Blues Quartet
- 1963 Eric Clapton replaces original guitarist Top Topham
- 1964 Sign to Decca
- 1965 'For Your Love' released
- 1965 Clapton quits in protest at the band's commercialism
- 1965 Jeff Beck joins
- 1966 'Roger the Engineer' released
- 1966 Jimmy Page joins, first on bass
- 1968 The Yardbirds split
- 1968 Page's 'New Yardbirds' become Led Zeppelin
- 1992 The Yardbirds reform
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 For Your Love played 658 times
- 2 Heart Full of Soul played 257 times
- 3 I'm a Man played 159 times
- 4 Shapes of Things played 145 times
- 5 Still I'm Sad played 118 times
- 6 I Wish You Would played 117 times
- 7 Over, Under, Sideways, Down played 116 times
- 8 I Ain't Got You played 110 times
- 9 Over Under Sideways Down played 101 times
- 10 Good Morning Little Schoolgirl played 97 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.