You need to upgrade your Flash Player
In order to view this video please get flash.
- Principal Members
- Mike Joyce
- Johnny Marr
- Andy Rourke
The Smiths were an English rock group active from 1982 to 1987. The group was based on the song-writing partnership of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and were signed to the independent record label Rough Trade Records.
Considered by some critics to be the most important alternative rock band to emerge from the British indie scene of the 1980s, the Smiths have had a major influence on subsequent alternative music, including the Britpop movement and bands such as The Stone Roses, Gene, Radiohead, Blur, Suede, Oasis, The Libertines, The Verve and Doves...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1983 Sign to Rough Trade and release their first single
- 1983 Perform on TOTP
- 1984 Debut album reaches #2 in the UK chart
- 1986 Legal problems delay release of 'The Queen is Dead'
- 1986 Rourke is sacked but reinstated two weeks later
- 1986 Craig Gannon is added on bass, then rhythm guitar
- 1986 After a UK tour, Gannon is sacked
- 1987 Marr leaves and the group split, unable to replace him
- 1996 Joyce wins #1m in unpaid royalties in a court case
- 2005 VH1 attempt to reunite The Smiths, and fail
- 2006 The Smiths are offered $5m to reform, they refuse
- Related programme
- On the BBC
- On the web
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 This Charming Man played 4,454 times
- 2 Bigmouth Strikes Again played 3,898 times
- 3 There Is a Light That Never Goes Out played 3,805 times
- 4 Panic played 3,077 times
- 5 Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now played 2,964 times
- 6 Hand in Glove played 2,945 times
- 7 How Soon Is Now? played 2,865 times
- 8 William, It Was Really Nothing played 2,766 times
- 9 The Boy With the Thorn in His Side played 2,664 times
- 10 Ask played 2,563 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.